Beginner advice...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, and novice in wood working... the last time I did any proper wood work was 24 years ago when for my GCSE Craft, Design and Technology (I did get an A!).

In any case I would consider myself cack-handed with wood work. Can't cut a straight line with hand tools to save my life. I do have a table saw which I bought to do my some laminate flooring and skirting board (which didn't end so well cosmetically!).

Anyway I'm now working on crafting some pistol grips for a pistol (obviously). Doing it mostly with hand tools (and the table saw to chop up the board in to smaller pieces), the first two attempts were fine, but the result was not exactly what I was hoping for. In an ideal world I would use a band saw (instead of table saw) for a bit more control, a scroll saw (instead of a coping saw / chisel) for the finer details, and a bobbin / disc sander (instead of rasps / files / sandpaper) to shape the grip and clean up the edges.

Now that I know where I can source some decent wood (instead of the beech or oak that is sold at B&Q), I've kind of rekindled my interest in wood working. The idea of getting scroll saw appeals to me, while getting a band saw seem like a good idea as well. I know they do totally different things, and I should really get both (probably will eventually) but which one should I buy first? I'm guessing the scroll saw as table saw and band saw does relatively similar things.

Which should I buy? How old is old? And what should I look out for?

Thanks.

Adrian

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is really governed by what you intend making in the long term. I only started woodworking 3-4 years ago but still dont have a table saw, as I found the Bandsaw was sufficient for my needs, mainly making bandsaw boxes. A Scrollsaw is not necessary for that, although I do have one and use it when making certain parts of 'special boxes' but didn't need it initially.

So, what do you have in mind to make? You should then get lots of replies from members far better quiped to answer you.
Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm.

To be honest I don't know. :-D I would love to try my hands on everything so I guess ultimately it probably doesn't matter which get first. Each has its own advantages and limitations... looking back I don't know why I bought a table saw!

In any case I managed to buy a second hand Clarkes Scroll Saw. 3 yrs old, the basic model which is still selling at about £90. I paid £40 for it so I think I've done alright. Got some scrap wood so I'll start scrolling when I find some tutorial on YouTube / here / books.

Found a sander on the bay and a pillar drill in gumtree as well, but yet to win the auction / contact the seller.

Still looking for a secondhand bandsaw near Nottingham. Trying not to rush things this time.

I guess I'm trying to build up a workshop... but still not sure what I want to work on yet. I guess i will find my niche when I start making different things... then it may be time to upgrade to something a bit more substantive!

Adrian

Table saw if youre thinking of large furniture or items
Bandsaw does all the rest.
youve heard it before but I'll say it again. get the biggest bandsaw you can just not quite afford. Used is good because there is not a lot to go wrong with them (unless its been deliberately hacked about of course).
Remember, you can still cut small stuff on a big saw but you cant cut big stuff on a small saw.
6" belt sander saves a LOT of time, but you can do it all by hand if you want to.
Bobbin sander is useful for curves, but only for final finishing as it clogs quickly on large material removals.

Thanks for the advice. I only have corner of my garage to work with so it will have to be small for now... But agree with you.

Adrian

No, youve got it wrong.
Remove the car so you have enough workshop space.
i havent been able to get a car in my garage since 1980.
Priorities man, its all about priorities.

Agree with Bob, rename the garage, the workshop ASAP
I See you are not far from me in Loughborough

You missed local bs saw a few months ago just bide your time one will come up.

Welcome, by the way :)

Thanks all.

Yes I missed a second hand Scheppach Deco 402 for £60. Very local as well. Hope I haven't overpaid on the Clarke Scroll Saw. Won a Clarke Disc Sander 305mm for £62. It's all going into the WORKSHOP! ☺️

...And getting a bench drill for £30.

Mid life crisis!

The last time we moved, I got lumbered (hah!) with the tumble dryer in my WORKSHOP.

It took a year before I got agreement to build an outside kitchen area with undercounter room for it. i have drawn a line in the sand now. NO domestic items in MY workshop. Of course, I had to give up any say over the rest of the house, but hey, I won that battle.

You'll be needing some hand tools as well as machines whatever you decide to make - eg. planes, chisels, saws, squares etc. etc. etc.

John

John15":29kkxypr said:
You'll be needing some hand tools as well as machines whatever you decide to make - eg. planes, chisels, saws, squares etc. etc. etc.

John

And as luck would have it, car boot sale season is approaching fast :)

Plenty of hand tools in the WORKSHOP already. Need to sharpen the plane though as I think I'm struggling with it because it's not sharp enough.

Getting these powered stuff is more of an upgrade for me. Getting back to wood working may well be mid life crisis however! Finding a good wood seller at my doorstep didn't help the matter either. :p

Wife doesn't know I've INVESTED in a scroll saw yet! Hehe.

Adrian

Hello

Had a similar mid life crisis / not talking to the wife spell last year ( and the year before to be honest!) Pillar drill off ebay has been amazing. Stick with that and maybe even get some forstner bits on your birthday. Had a frustrating bandsaw for years - got a new blade from Tuffsaws recently and it has been a revelation. I think you will use more than a scrollsaw. Belt and disk sander combo was an expensive buy and I thought I had over done it. Amazing what it can do and I wouldn't want to be without it now.

Hope this helps - good luck with your investments

Bought the forstner bits already... In fact bought the wooden drill bit set from Screwfix. The £7.99 forstner bit from them were terrible. The £35 set was much better.

I think I just need a bandsaw for now... And a router and table...

Bandsaw and router table do about 90% of everything I do with wood. Both of them magic tools.

Back