Table saw advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sossukuk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Advice needed on a new table saw please. I have a medium shed size 10' x 8' and I would like a DW475 table saw Ideally. It seems to be a pretty good option and has been recently advertised at a very good price. However they are in short supply at the moment and look unlikely to be available for the next few months at that price. I have projects that would to crack on with. So should I wait and pay £399 for it or go for the same model and pay £499 to £600 from elsewhere maybe with a stand. If I am to pay more should I go the the next model up? I have looked at the DWE4791 but that is a bit larger I think and about £750 (any opinions on that model appreciated). I'm not sure if the extra features warrant that price? The reviews on these saws are always very good. I have looked into Bosch saws in the £350 + price range but the reviews are more mixed, usually about the fence or the blade . So thats my problem. Do I pay more for the DW475 or upgrade to the DWE4791, or is there is better option?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
thanks
Paul

Is it a portable saw that you need, sounds like you want to permanently set a saw up in your shed in which case there are far better options out there for £400.00.

Mike

Thanks for the response Mike.
Yes I think mostly it will be in the shed but its a tad tight in there space wise. I will need to take it outside in better weather for larger jobs I'm thinking.
I am interested in the other the options you mentioned?

many thanks again.
paul

Any saw can be made mobile with a purpose made base unit, have a look here for an option : axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html I am not saying this is the saw to get, but on page two of the thread you will see a base made for the basic smaller footprint unit by Pike which will give you the idea, the saw in question can be found here: http://www.axminster.co.uk/machinery/sa ... aw-benches and is a very good hobby saw with a cast iron top, the mobile base on castors transform any saw's usability, it can be wheeled up to a bench to use as an outfeed table or indeed infeed table, if the riving knife can be lowered below the table top then it becomes a useful workbench, when making a mobile base for anything consider making them all the same height to enlarge the working area.

Mike

I have a big cabinet saw and used to have a 745

I sold the 745 and within a month or so already regretted it. I will now probably buy another for mobile work. The dewalt is light powerful and super accurate. So quick to set the fence with the rack and pinion

If my workshop was a shed id have a 745. The only negative in my opinion is the noise of the brushed motor.

Thanks Alexfn.

Apart from the noise and a few comments about the power switch on a DW 745 I cant say I have heard any negative reviews. I have looked at the Axminster one Mike mentioned and I guess the reviews are a bit mixed from the few I have seen.

Does anyone know much about the DWE7491 ?

Regards
Paul

You have to take the reviews on the Axminster site with a bit of salt, one guy who gave a negative comment was trying to use the saw as a portable which is a nonsense when it weighs that much, another guy got the details so wrong I doubt he even had one.

Mike

Hi Gents,

if i may offer my opinion - i was in this same boat a couple of years back and was torn between the 745 and the axi ts250 (older model)

ended up with the axi ts200, the 250's little brother. I'm extremely happy with it and according to a few people the new ts- models are even better.

Pro's of the axi are: it's lighter than alot of saws that have the same features (cast iron etc), i've got mine on a homemade wheeled base and can roll it out into the drive in summer. It's fantastically accurate and as long as the blades are in good nick (always freud) the cuts are great. its also super easy to modify if you so wished if/when you get a bigger workshop! it is however still rather heavy and you cant expect perfectly machined mitre slots, its also a bit of a pain to get up and running.

In my eyes to get the dewalt would be -to a degree- sacrificing all the above for maneuverability, footprint and ease of setup. Although i haven't heard a bad word about the 745, if you wanted to add an extension to the table you'd be pretty stuck!

maybe give axminster a ring - they're fantastic for advice and it's relatively unbiased.

hope this helps!

Joe

Back