New workshop build. 9.2m x 3.4m progress pics added

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davies5390

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

New to this forum and after some general advise etc

Location South Wales Swansea

I have just finished putting up my frame for my new workshop

It's a 9.2m x 3.4m 4x2 timber pent roof style workshop

I have built this without planning on the following basis

Height part of the roof is 2.5m in height dropping to 2.3m on opposite side, it does not take up more than 50% of my garden and it is not any where near my dwelling it's all timber frame , two windows and a garage door on the front side

Am I right in thinking this comes under permitted development

As for building regs

It is 2.5ft from my boundary fence but is not any higher than the stated 2.5m
And being 9.2m x 3.4m it is bang on 30sqm area internally
It will have electrics inside lights and a few sockets but that is it.

It will be insulated and boarded internally and externally is going to be cladded in cedar waney edge

Can anyone advise based on the above info if I have done anything wrong or that I should not of done?

My neighbours property is about 2m to the right of the workshop but as this is not my property I'm assuming the regs don't apply to my workshop being that close to someone else's house outside of my boundary?

I'm located in Wales

I have read and read planning portal and development rights

Hoping it's all ok as I'm putting the roof on the weekend.

Will upload photos this evening for you all to see the build progress

Cheers

Strictly speaking you need to be 1 metre from the boundary, to act as a fire break which is part of building regs. this is for buildings between 15 and 30 sq metres.

If it is closer then it must be built of non-combustible material -I think Steve Maskerey had this problem

Thats English regs so may not be the same for you, I know in Scotland the 2.5M height rule is applied differently (planning)

I know that building regs 30 sq metre rule applies to internal dimensions, but I have struggled to find this written anywhere on an official government site -do you have a link?

Thanks for the reply there, not good news then really as I put a new feathered edge fence up about 1ft in front of the existing boundary fence ( neibghours were responsible for this side and there was just a 3ft rotten fence there ) the workshop is currently 2ft from my feathered edge fence so would it go from that boundary or the actual boundary 1ft the other side of my feathered edge fence?

I have £2000 of waney edge cladding sitting on my drive which i intend on cladding it with.

As for planning I know I didn't need planning to put up the size I have but looks like I may have failed the building regs side based on the distance from a boundary and it being a combustible material.

So what does this mean?

Could they make me change it?

I'd be devastated if they did as Iv just invested £5000 into this project

Thanks

And just another quick thought could I just fire proof the side closest to the boundary outside with a class 0 rated clear paint and then as it will be ply lined inside paint that white using a class 0 fire retarding paint?

Cheers

I would check to see if the same rules apply in Wales.

Your workshop does fall under permitted development for the planning, but the 1 metre rule is a building regulation stipulation.

I know Steve Maskerey of this forum had a similar issue, his workshop was larger and was under building regs and therefore picked up by the building inspector. Steve did a rather large thread about the workshop build, so you may be able to use the search function and find the information

I cant remember how it was resolved, from memory there are a few options: clad those sides within 1 metre with non combustable cladding, paint with intumescent paint, cover first with fireboard or plasterboard then clad -I dont know enough to know the answer, I guess it would have to meet the time period rating, ie 1 hour or half hour which ever applies.

In theory, yes building control could make you change it if it is non compliant, but of course that would depend on them being told and then being bothered to come and visit. Maybe you could do whatever is needed to the framework, keep pictures and then clad over with what you have, so if it ever comes up, you would only need to change the cladding -all guesswork from me though

Like others I do not know if these rules apply in Wales.
I too was just a smidge under the 30 sq. Metres. Within a metre of the boundary so had to be built of substantially non conbustable materials. I would think a layer of paint is not going to be sufficient. I know Steve maskey clad part of his with cement based sheets.
I was told by building control that a timber frame clad with cement boards or a block built clad with wood is not acceptable, though it does seem it depends on the person that you speak to.

I'm currently looking into this as I have the frame up and I'm questioning going any further until it's clarified even though I have the roof, osb and plywood along with the waney edge cladding being delivered tomorrow

Davies5390":ibyriox6 said:
And just another quick thought could I just fire proof the side closest to the boundary outside with a class 0 rated clear paint and then as it will be ply lined inside paint that white using a class 0 fire retarding paint?

Cheers
Ask at your local council office. Ours used to be brilliant, you could just check their office hours and wander in and ask them what you liked - until they realised they could make money by being inaccessible. You might find you have a more helpful one.

The distance would apply from the actual boundary not the additional fence you added.

I hope there is an easy solution for you.

The rule also applies to house extensions, so a conservatory less than a metre away could need fire rated glazing.

If the rule would apply to the exsisting boundary then the front would be further than 1m away from the original boundary however at the rear as the boundarys runs in the rear would still be within 1m

I'm trying to upload pics of the build so far for you all to see but it keeps bringing up an error!

I will speak to bco tomorrow and see what they say.

Very annoying that I missed this as all materials to weather proof it come tomorrow

Back