Dismantling cascamite (?) on old stairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zak99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have some old softwood stairs I'd like to dismantle and reuse. The wedges are well and truly glued and stuck fast. I know the stairs are at least 40 years old. I'm guessing it's cascamite. I tried a hot air gun without success. Any ideas please?

(The stairs are in a basement I'm having tanked so they have to come out. They are a 270 degree turn so can't come out intact)

Rgds

Zak

Dismantling intact may not be an option here. Last time I tried dismantling a door frame that had been glued with cascamite was a no go. This was literally hitting the horns of the frame up with a hammer with a block of wood inbetween with all my might and it was stuck fast. I'm intrigued to see if someone has a solution for this.

Can you maybe chop the wedges out and bang the treads and riser back into the wedge space?

Thanks Stormer. I'll attack em again this week and let you know.

Cascamite sets by a chemical action which as far as I know is not reversible in any way. Once cured the glue is waterproof and as hard as rock. I would not expect to dismantle the stairs without substantial damage. The only method I can suggest is cutting through all the treads and risers close to the strings and carefully chopping out the end parts from the strings in small pieces, a labour intensive method of ending up with something you can make new in less time ( but at a cost of course)

Thanks Mike, the cascamite glue joints are limited to wedges and riser to tread blocks. I am managing to dismantle and save treads and risers without too much hassle but the stringers are shot due to either rot and/or woodworm.

Back