Can you help me identify this PT please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammyhl

Established Member
Reaction score
Seller says it's unlabelled which sounds a bit strange in its own right - but it's cheap...

Attachments

• IMG_8655.PNG
    IMG_8655.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 254
I cant tell just by looking who the manufacturer is but it sure doesn't look like a cheapie to me. Quite the opposite in fact, that looks like a classic British made job with plenty of cast iron or if not British then European at least. But a fair few decades old. Wallace or one of the Wadkin aficionado's might recognise it.

When well fettled those old behemoths last several lifetimes.

It's not a Wadkin, Robinson, Whitehead, Cooksley or a Sedgwick. Might be a Startrite or Multico. I don't think it's a metalclad as they had very clear and obvious labelling. I'd be interested to know as well.

Apparently the bed is 7" wide. I take it thats my width limit on pieces of wood? I'm thinking of doing a 20ft double ender boat and can't decide if I need a 10x6 or if this would be adequate?

A floor standing machine with a 7" width seems unlikely -could it be a 10" x 7" perhaps?

Multico are very good although the company itself hasn't existed for many years, no parts available -it doesnt look like any multico Ive seen, although quite similar to their small surface planer.

The reason i think its a Sedgwick is because they have the rollers on the thicknessing table as standard ,,the ones on the surfacing table are an addition on the op's photo

Ok - found another photo. Hope this helps. PT is 240v. Got to be worth £300?

Attachments

• IMG_8657.PNG
    IMG_8657.PNG
    78.3 KB · Views: 105
I think Beau nailed it. One sold on ebay recently. There is even a photo out of the instruction manual for it, apparently it weighs 520lb!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dodd-039-s-12 ... 7675.l2557
(completed listing so think that's ok to link, please delete if not)

Is it worth £300 is another question. My chief concerns would be the unsupported table extensions as they will have had massive leverage on the tables, making sure they have not bent/broken something, or resulted in the table rise and fall mechanism wearing unevenly would be very important. Apart from that the condition of cutter block bearings, motor bearings, blades, etc could all impact the price you'd be happy to pay.

Assuming http://www.doddeng.com/ are likely the same dodd manufacturer, so you may be able to get some literature on it if you asked nicely.

F.

Well identified! -it is definitely the same as the ebay link.

Id get rid of the table extensions they look like a high risk of breaking the cast tables if a lump of timber was dropped on them.

If the machine works well, then worth £300 -equivalent to a sedgwick machine

It looks like it is a 12 x 7 size

RobinBHM":18ixbo6l said:
Well identified!

Not really. I had a Dodd 12" PT for many years and did not twig when first looked at this thread :oops:

Good machines though with simple but solid accurate machining. Be surprised if the Dodd in the link is the same as they were a small outfit I think based in Kent.

jammyhl":2yi1l7nv said:
Ok - found another photo. Hope this helps. PT is 240v. Got to be worth £300?

My Dewalt P/T, also 10", but a bench model, was £450, This model: https://www.gumtree.com/p/planers/dewal ... 1182577251

and that's about the going rate give or take as you can see.

I'd agree with the advice about the extensions unless you decide to support them somehow and they have not caused any of the damage mentioned.

I'm assuming you could take some timber and try it in both configurations?

Back