round over router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Advice please i am trying to round over my bandsaw box with a round over bit and it always leaves a lip i have tried and tried to over come this on practice pieces from the router bit bearing just touching the wood and adjusting a tiny tiny bit higher every time but it still leaves a lip any explanation on what i am doing wrong would be most appreciated
thank's in advance
ALAN

The tolerances are always really tight with a round over bit, the slightest unevenness on the surface across which the router runs, the tiniest bit of lift or tip when you move the router, and you get the lip you describe.

Wealden recently developed an excellent round over bit that takes all the drama out of the process. It's called the arris bit and it works a treat!

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... g_964.html

custard would i need to use a round over bit and then the one in your link to finish off ? or just the one in the link ??
Alan

mock":3pdwc1ed said:
custard would i need to use a round over bit and then the one in your link to finish off ? or just the one in the link ??
Alan

Just the one.

Are these the same type profile as the Corbox bits Cosman uses like in his latest video with the jewellery cabinet?

Mock, I have had the same problem in the past.
I got over it by putting the bare minimum of pressure against the bit. Just enough to stop it chattering.
Then is there was any lip at all, a very quick sanding of that edge removed all traces of it.
Ane remember a bandsaw box is essentially a free hand work, you dont need engineering tolerances on it.

What make/model is the roundover bit?

I had some no brand bits (plus some inexperience) that caused what you desribed, I then got some trend bits and the same ineperience but hardly get a lip anymore.

The lip should not be on the edge closest to the bearing, as that would be a manufacturing defect.
Check the bearing diameter against the cutter diameter.
If the lip is on the bottom of the cutter then a half mm lower should solve the problem.

custard":3sgq54v5 said:
The tolerances are always really tight with a round over bit, the slightest unevenness on the surface across which the router runs, the tiniest bit of lift or tip when you move the router, and you get the lip you describe.

Wealden recently developed an excellent round over bit that takes all the drama out of the process. It's called the arris bit and it works a treat!

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... g_964.html

ooh very nice :) TY.

petermillard":2ll3nu4t said:
Hadn't seen those before Custard, thanks for posting!
I've had one a while now Peter ,great little cutter. Just for knocking the edge off stuff

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back