startrite 275 table saw fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a good fence for my startrite 275 table saw ? the one i have is a little bit off and would like a good solid replacement
ALAN

Is fettling the old one not an option ?
My one has a nice rack and pinion system,and is attached to another rail the other side of the table..
Is this the same as your one ?
I would just make up another bracket in place of the claw that wont move ...
I would guess a solid aftermarket one would nearly be as much work and set you back a few quid

http://vsctools.com/product-details/diy-table-saw/ is a good video. there is also a FWW article about using a toggle clamp, and I think it has a plan. if you are interested, I will have a look for it, but it is in the old format of FWW- not the new glossy magazine!

I have a besmear type one on my saw and it is solid as a rock.

marcros thank,s if you don,t mind i will have a good look at the fence over the week end and if i can't do anything with it i will get back to you thank's
ALAN

I think its worth fixing up ...if its the more common type
If you get it to a Wallace level, their is a brass index strip inlaid into the rail that would be a shame to take off the machine.
If you look at the claw there is a screw with a flat slot ...mine was severely worn but just about there...
You might have to deepen this slot if you can't get a screwdriver to fit...
I have not got my saw goin yet but plan to use this fence ...it seems solid .
Do you still have all the parts on the fence?

Yes the fence seams to work ok but i think there a little belly in the fence its self i will have a look over the week end and yes the fence is the one with a rod running through the middle of it and the clamp on the other end . The last time i took the fence off it was a night mare to put it back on again . When ripping the timber seams to get a little tight in a certain spot and and burns the blade
ALAN

Bend it with brute ignorant force and do the the opposite for measuring it afterwards :p
You can pull the wheel for the pinion and dislodge it from the rack and slide quickly/take off the rail
Tom

On the other hand,
If you're the type to build your own stuff....
It might be an advantage if you really hate the fence, and are tight for space,
If you went for a single rail design ....
You could mount a cool flip up outfeed table to the other apron !

I seen this and thought I'd do the same, but me being a numpty forgot about the opposite rail
in the way of the hinge ...but yet I built the frame of my mobile base to accommodate this extra jut out ...
Thought I'd make the most of the angle iron I had ..and after the large bandsaw base that you can wobble easily,
thought a bigger footprint would be nice.
I was thinking after making this, in the end it might not be such a bad thing ...storage for crosscut jigs etc ..
But I'm now thinking I want to make something like this now ...
I haven't even thought of a design yet ..Or if i will if atall ...
Might be a better idea to make a base that quickly adjusts to any table ...tablesaw bandsaw other tablesaw, and whatever machines I might end up with next.
I'll have to see ...
If the base was more rigid I might consider it a bit more but that would involve making struts inside the frame ...or bolting a system on the mobile base might be an option yet ...
Planning to fabricate loads of extras to the saw after this...
I have to use the saw yet, so I'll see how things go with the outfeed

ive just purchased the startrite 275 and its been stood a long time and ive got the claw to release fine but the rack and pinion geeze its solid i cant move it any ideas would be great thank you

The bodies of these saws are excellent, built to last several generations. But the fences...

I'm not allowed to advertise in a post, so I won't, but I built a fence for my TS which is as solid as you could possibly want, inexpensive to build and does not require any metalworking skills beyond sawing, filing, drilling and tapping. There are a few people on this forum who have built it, and at least one member who is doing so as we speak.
My Xcalibur has an excellent fence as standard, but if I had to build my Beismeyer Lookalike again, the only thing I would change is the box section of the fence itself. I used 50mm W x 25mm H, and I would now choose 50 x 75H. I would change nothing else.
Easy, cheap and excellent. What more could I want?

Hello
Here are some pics of my fence.
Totally disengaged ...
Fully disengaged.JPG

And fully engaged.
Fully engaged.JPG

Can you pull the wheel out, could it be stuck on the rack teeth?
These teeth are only up to a certain point, and the rest of the fence rail is smooth.

I would suggest loosening the other end of the fence clamp with a flathead screwdriver.
You might need some WD40

Keep an eye on this fence in use, as I've had mine come loose all of a sudden!, and had to retighten
the finger clamp.
Took it all apart to see if anything was explanatory, but could see nothing obvious with it.
If I remember correctly, I needed to grind down an allen key to fit.
Tom

Attachments

• Fully engaged.JPG
    Fully engaged.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 237
  • Fully disengaged.JPG
    Fully disengaged.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 238
hi well ive just bought this 275 saw and with it been stood for a long time it was solid well ive used some wd40 and ive got it to move on the rack and pinion and the claw locks fine and releases fine my question is well i had to take the black knob off and add another nut so i had 2nuts on so i could lock together then i used a spanner to move it . it moves easy now so what i want to no when i put the black knob back on do you use it to move the fence on the rack and pinion any hep would be great as im new to this but ill learn slowly lol

The black knob is for micro adjustment on the rack, nothing to do with the locking mechanism.
If you have it only halfway engaged/semi pulled out it could possibly damage the rack and pinion.
You need to pull it out fully, if you want to slide the fence completely to the right, as the rack is only cut into it a short amount of the rail, you will damage the pinion if you crank the lever past that point, effectively cutting into the fully round rail.
The ball and stick lever is for making the fence solid.
As I said earlier, beware of it coming loose for no reason whatsoever, this can happen if it was super solid, just a moment earlier!

Hopefully, I've answered your question?
If not reply, many of us have these machines.

Best of luck with your machine.

Tom

Latest posts

Back