Bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a nice bandsaw blade from a company maybe no-one has heard ofcalled 'Tuffsaws' ;)

I was having a play with it today, slicing up various things (not body parts tho!) and noticed that the 'spiky bits' on the blade seem to be set one side then the other.

After a more careful look, they're consistently set : left,right,left,right,straight,left,right,left right, straight....
(its a 3/4" 3tpi sabrecut)

So I looked it up online and it seems there are various patterns that are used.

It's only curiousity, but can anyone explain the reasons for the different patterns of 'spiky bit direction' and what particular differing applications the various patterns are typically used for ?

cheers

I think you search the site for Tuffsaws, you will be inundated with search results!
It is more the case of who hasn't heard of Ian rather than who has.

Most of your questions will be answered if you go onto Tuffsaws site as it is a wealth of information on the various blades on offer, their uses, limitations etc. etc.

Thanks Glynne ...with apologies ...I was being a little disingenuous ...my sense of humour .. I know Tuffsaws gets a 'few' mentions here and that the set on my blade is a raker set as its for ripping through some chunky green fir.

My real question is whether there's a more comprehensive resource other than what Tuffsaws and Starrett have to say on their websites...I havent found one. Is it just a matter of general human experience with wavy, raker, alternate sets (or indeed any others) or is there science surrounding what seems like a potentially very large number of 'set' combinations?

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a "one blade fits all".

You have to have different blades for different uses, and there are so many different uses that if there actually was a comprehensive list, you would never remember it all.

My bandsawing is either making boxes or sawing hardwoods, and even I have to have 4 different blades! on the go.
Even down to needing a different blade to saw 8" depth of the same wood when its 2" deep.
And yes, Ian even delivers to cyprus!

Back