beginner - making a straight edge, bench hook, plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon1138

Reaction score
hello,

i am new here and wanted to get some idea of how to do some wood working. i want to make a straight edge. i have a plane that requires restoring/sharpening. i have some wood, pine and mdf mostly. i would like to make a straight edge, it would be about 50 cm long, about 1 cm thick and 5 cm across. this needs to be as straight as possible as i would like to notch it. the idea is to make a notched straight edge to help check the straightness of a guitar neck. tools like this are usually metal and cost about £30 and up. i was thinking about making a bench hook which i have seen on youtube and then with some of the bits i have try and make a straight edge. i want to get and straight as possible. the metal ones available are precision straight edges.
can this be done with a bench hook and plane?
how straight can i get it?
are there any things i should take into consideration when making a bench hook? from the looks of it the length of the guiding edge has to be
at least 50 cm to accommodate the wood i am using, is this right?
thanks
simon

Hello Simon
I would be looking for a dead flat surface if I was you ....
Free stuff to look for would be a fire door ...composite construction, look for hotel skips ...
Make a planing bench with this ...
You didn't mention if you have the space, but if possible I'd strike a level chalkline on a wall and make a frame up
and work to this level for the fire door to sit on.
Just lightly fasten this door on the frame....don't overtighten even slightly or it will distort the door.
To make the tool you require, you need a very flat surface to put the precision dead flat surface on so it wont distort.
Look for either float glass ...not tempered or toughened ..not plate glass.
Look at some stove place or similar which sells granite or marble. look in their rubble piles ...you might get some off cuts ...
This will be for checking your plane for tolerance .
The wooden tool that you wish to make, you will never be able to trust ....
You will need to keep checking it on the bench...
I would go as far as searching for a surface with a better tolerance to sit on the door if you can get it.
Maybe try find some good straight edge to borrow, just to make sure theirs no sagging etc ....
And if your adamant to make a straight edge from wood, I would be looking for split stock to start with.

Sounds like your making a shooting board instead of a bench hook ?...
What is the bench hook for at this moment in time ?
Look up Mitch Peacocks youtube vids and tune up your plane to this thorough guide ...
You will be able to get a good result with it.
Good luck

Here's some granite I salvaged from a stove place ..
These surface plates should be good for using in conjunction with prussian blue to get a dead flat surface

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 153
Straight edge.
Do you have a bit of MDF with the factory edge undamaged?
That is about as straight as you'll get, without spending money.
Bench hook.
3 bits of off-cuts screwed/nailed together. (Just don't put screws where the saw cuts will be.)
If you mean a shooting board, then that has to be at least a planes length longer than the work piece.
Doing up a plane.
Remove rust, sharpen blade, try out. It doesn't need to be pretty to work well.

To be honest, if you have ask how to make a bench hook, your skills may not be up to making a reliable straight edge.

Bod

Back