Inca 205 bandsaw - what's missing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Oppressed Slave of Gary The Cat
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So I am now the proud owner of an Incas 205 bandsaw which I'm really happy about as it's the bandsaw that meets my requirements.

I got it for less than £70 but there are a number of bits missing. I just wondered if other owners on here may be able to point out what is so I can start looking into buying them or making them up myself.

I will make a post in the Inca Yahoo group soon but thought I'd ask on here first beforehand.

Have attached some photos of what I have.

796b58e2e715b2aca0d3c4091a649122.jpg

a6eeeae7c7af28d7709a08a8124209f9.jpg

e3ae5d2c97c7bc05175a0c9feb3a4b47.jpg

d8affd63b193040a1827264ba02fcc4e.jpg

b599fe7ee946b327ce6585b92841a23e.jpg

71c24cba2fd696b8b8cdcb75b2cec168.jpg

Hrrmmph. Alnswered the phone, and all my typing disappeared...
I can't see the "rise and fall", if that's the right term. Bottom blade-guides(should be below the table) top blade guides(would be attached to "rise and fall"). Side panel, Fence, mtre guide.
I'm sure you can improvise a fence if you need one, I'd be more worried about the rise and fall and blade guides.
I have the slightly larger machine, and could email you a copy of the manual, if it helps, but I reckon you'll get better info from the Yahoo group.

Top and bottom blade guide assemblies and bearings, which we already discussed.

The slide that holds the upper guides, and raises or lowers them (I think that's what John Brown calls the "rise and fall").

Blade tensioning mechanism on the upper wheel.

Also, you should have two of the half-moon things under the table (to do the tilt mechanism) not just one. They clamp either side. The one you want is the mirror image of the one you have. Plus the bolts and nuts to tighten them. This will be a faff to make, but not so hard to make a piece that will lock the table at 90 degrees only.

I will try to get a moment to take mine apart enough and take photographs for you to see what is missing. Again I have the slightly larger model, but I couldn't tell from the photos and I think the mechanisms are probably the same. But if someone has the same model (I think there was a WIP a few months ago of a rebuild) that would be still better.

Keith

Strange ..I would nearly chance a guess that it may have been used as a sander instead of a bandsaw..
Tires look to be in good nick thickness wise , any lumps taken out of them ?
Why would someone not have all these parts :x
I've heard Inca's are good wee machines before .

First things first
I would work on the tensioning mechanism first ,
On the Elektra Beckum bs315 I recently worked on I noticed the tensioning screw was simple threaded bar...
It looks like its made to be replaced oftenish ....
Figure this out first, as it looks to be a stout saw that might handle having no guides for a brief period of fun/motivation .
I would be looking to get a tuffsaws blade for it and tracking it correctly ...even by hand if you do not wish to use it.
This might keep you going for a bit...

I don't know if you wish to get the parts for the saw, or get a welder (if you dont have one allready)
I keep seeing small welders going for 40 to 50 euros where I live ...Lidl even do them, and people are always upgrading
them ...maybe to a mig or just bigger? there out there .
Get a small angle grinder and buy thin 1mm melt yer clothes discs, in the pound shop .
You go through them fast and their expensive probably 1 pound a disc (better value in the multipacks
If that fails, shop around ,maybe in large auto shops for cheap ones.
A good few files too in the pound shops ,shop around for the best ones , should b only 2 quid a file .

Table trunnion should be next to fabricate, and after that it depends on what you are going to do with the saw...
The frame looks fairly sturdy, so you might get away with a bracket bolted temporarily for use ....
It depends on what your doing with it ...how long till you plan on needing guides ....
If you need precision (guides help a bit)you need the guide post/toolpost.
that rack and pinion looks tricky to fabricate if you were to....there is easier ways to do this, if you cant get the part...
I'd look for possible clones of that saw if your dead set on getting the rack and pinion to adjust for post travel.
Then comes the guides ...if your making the guidepost from scratch ...you might want to figure out
how to go about mounting the guides into your design.

But I found it can be confusing thinking up something from scratch ...and even if the original design looks more complicated ..
its designed allready and a sure thing, so you can just plow on and it will take up less time than hmmm and hawwing over it.

Remember its not Matt Cremona's machine your building ...from the beginning, there is end in sight :D
Plenty of suggestions here on this forum .
Good luck with getting your machine going

VERY, VERY long shot, but Bruce Pollard in Milton Keynes was the Inca agent many years ago. He sold up while we still lived there, but Pollard's ironmongers in Fenny Stratford are possibly still there and just MIGHT be able to give you a steer towards parts.

great saws, but i would question whether this one is worth repairing. you could easily spend £100 on parts for this and still not have a complete saw. inca spares are limited in availability and expensive where they are available.

If you could make it work as a sander as it is by just buing a abrasive belt, I would get it up and running as that and either use it or sell it.

Without wanting to be a wet blanket, I'd have to agree with marcros. I bought mine for £50 and it had one nut missing. I fear there are some things that might be too hard to fabricate.

Sorry for the late replies chaps. I have been away from my computer. Many thanks for the replies as usual.

marcros":1dkb59v0 said:
great saws, but i would question whether this one is worth repairing. you could easily spend £100 on parts for this and still not have a complete saw. inca spares are limited in availability and expensive where they are available.

If you could make it work as a sander as it is by just buing a abrasive belt, I would get it up and running as that and either use it or sell it.

I can't comment on the technical aspect (DTR will be doing that hopefully later today) but I basically don't mind if will cost me £100 in spares. This bandsaw suits my needs and I am happy for us to put the work into restoring it back to its intended use whatever the cost.

While keeping it as a sander seems tempting, this is a well built machine and seems like a total waste of good engineering in my eyes. Also I don't really have the room for another machine which again is why I'm keen to keep this bandsaw and get it working to its former glory. My "workshop" is more of a shed measuring 7' x 7' just to remind some of you.

I don't really require a mitre fence or rip fence either, as most, if not all of my work will be freehand cuts. I'm not trying to poo poo some peoples opinion, but now I have the bandsaw I don't intend to admit defeat with it just yet and sell it on. :wink:

Meet your needs is a tricky one though....
It might well meet your needs while the blade is sharp ...but since it will be a short blade will dull quickly.
The bandsaw I mentioned previous post above was pants without a sharp blade.
I'm not one to throw away the good foundations of a machine though .
It does look like a bit of work though and if you want a sander :? :? :? :? :) :D
Basically you need to mention what you plan to do with the machine...how much stuff are you going to cut ...
I see you make lots of trinkets mobiles ...is that what you plan to use the saw for ?
It more than likely will suffice then .
But I think a welder is the way to go here to make up some stuff for it ...
Or another saw for what your willing to spend on dong that saw up ...and work now on making your "sander" mobile or
store-able ..It would prob make a good sander especially for the kind of "hard to get at with regular sander"
stuff you've made before ...
Might want to see if you can get a belt for it ? even if you do want to turn it into a saw

Ttrees":2o172ejg said:

I'm totally lost why I would need a welders help here....

I am a woodcarver mostly. I make the odd baby mobile here and there but need a saw that is more but a good machine. That has a lot of cutting height and can cut through hardwood etc. I make small carvings I should add but a lot of the smaller bandsaws lack sufficient cutting heights for my needs. This one was ideal.

I should add that I don't really need a sander, I have a foredom and a sanding disk on my lathe so am OK on the sanding side of things in hindsight. :)

Wow, you're a pessimistic lot this week! (hammer)

To address a few points....

1. The bottom guide bracket is not missing. All it requires is some new guides (i.e. steel blocks like the originals, or lignum vitae as suggested by MusicMan)

2. The blade tensioning mechanism is not missing. Incidentally the idler wheel is beautifully balanced. I spun it by hand and it freewheeled for over 12 minutes!

3. There's no half-moon thingy missing from the bottom of the table. There's only mountings for one half-moon thingy on the bottom of the table, and one corresponding locking bolt at the rear of the saw. The table has now been reunited with the saw.

4. As Doris mentioned above, the missing fence and mitre guides are a non-issue.

5. The only tricky point is the missing upper guides. A design for the replacement guide is currently in the advanced stages of fag-packet sketch

(hammer)

Doris":1pefufdq said:
Ttrees":1pefufdq said:

I'm totally lost why I would need a welders help here....
No you just need a welder ..an ark( stick) welder to be more specific .
Its not rocket science ...you might even enjoy it...
Look at Matt Cremona ...he started welding last year I think :D
Make the bits ya need ...sell the welder for the same 30 or 40 quid that you paid for it after...
I suspect you might want to keep it when you get it (hammer)
Just saw above post ...
Sounds like its raring to go ...
It did look like their was said bits missing in the photos

Hi DTR

Thanks for the update, looking good. The details of the 205 are clearly different from my 360, which certainly has two half-moon thingies (trunnions - I had to rush out to the shed to count them again!) and the tensioner is visible from the angles you showed. But that is good news for you and it is useful to know the differences.

You are well capable of making the guide assembly, judging by your gallery :).

Keith

I hope that you can sort this out. I have had mine from new and it is a very capable machine able to do tasks far greater than it's physical size would suggest. If you need plctures or diamentions of any parts just ask.

Back