Purple (but almost black) dye or stain?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I'm about to start making some doors for a new kitchen - nothing particularly complex, just a simple frame and panel design with the frames likely 60-80mm wide, from 19-22mm thick stock, and with a 6-9mm thick panel in the middle.

Constraints are an oak floor and an oak worktop... and the wife wants something purple; though really dark purple/aubergine is preferred.

I was planning on using poplar/tulip wood (and faced MDF/ply for the panel), and then finding a suitable paint - but I've been wondering instead if it might be feasible to dye a light wood instead (and then apply a clear finish). My thinking here is to still be able to see the variation in the wood grain (if I paint it then it could be MDF, ply, or just about anything underneath).

I've used Fiebings leather dye before, though their purple is too vibrant. Could anyone suggest a suitable product - and maybe a wood that might work well? Ash? Sycamore?

I did even consider making the doors from purpleheart, but I suspect I might struggle to get something that looks right.

CHJ":1rzriv3m said:
I'd be tempted to get a sample pact of spirit stains, they can be blended, if you find the shade you want you can then go for larger quantities.
I suspect you will get considerable variations due to absorption differences though.
One source:-
http://chestnutproducts.co.uk/results.php?cat=Stains
Thanks Chas. I was thinking of trying a mix of the Fiebings purple with a little black and trying that (just because I have some of both colours already). I'm just unsure if I'm kidding myself in terms of what I want to achieve.

I do have a small pine turned box I made (and stained just using the purple dye) and it does just about show variation due to the wood grain. Of course it may end up looking really naff - like some tacky attempt at a dark purple "tiger stripe" finish. Lack of experience in this area is a real pain!

Potassium permanganate used to be used as a wood stain IIRC
It will certainly make your fingers a nice shade of purple :)

Back