Appropriate Drill Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphidius

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What type of drill bits (sizes etc) are you guys/gals using to get the blades through for cutting small areas.
Any links to purchasing these would be appreciated. Probably singles or bulk packs.
I am not clued into the smaller sizes just the regular 4s -6s -8s and so forth.
any help in this area including charts and info
Regards
C

1mm or 2mm jobbers bits from screwfix 2 quid for 10 I think, haven't bought any in a while, I normally stick them on a big order of other stuff.

Do you have any model shops nearby (train, boat, plane, RC cars)? They use all kinds of miniature stuff to make the layouts with.
i know a man here who makes his own trains and carriages, and he has drills small enough that its impossible to pick them up without using tweezers. Possibly 0.25 mm or even less.

dental burrs are along a similar line Bob.
I've got a set of micro drill bits which are 0.3 to 1.25mm, but without an appropriate chuck they are useless (need a jewelers chuck or collets). a normally 3 jaw is to big. normally they are used by hand instead of powered. to small though, not much use for blade threading.

I never knew how much I needed a stanley hand drill untill I started using very small drills.

The chuck on that goes down to zero.

I've got a few jewelers drills which are awesome for it, one of them is like a mini yanky screwdriver. don't use them much these days but was great for PCB work and the occasional watch repair.

Ok guys thanks for your comments on which sizes of drill bits to purchase. It was very much appreciated as always.
I picked up this nice wee set from my local Homebase store for £6.99
The Xtreme 50 Piece Precision Drill Bit Set,
Includes: 15 x 1mm, 15 x 1.5mm, 10 x 2mm, 5 x 2.5mm, 5 x 3mm.
Cheaper than Screwfix locally
Seems a good bargain, only time will tell on that score but it should be enough to see me through for a while I should imagine.
Regards
C

Attachments

• sml drill bits.jpg
    sml drill bits.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,040
Back