Long screwdriver bits (6"/150mm) and bit sets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I've bought cheap sets like these in the past, but the most used ones wear out fast, and the whole sets seem made of cheese anyway. I do have magnetic extensions, but they're nowhere near as good to use, as they slop around far too much (even with tape round the joints).

Has anybody found good quality 6" bits here and can recommend a brand or a supplier?

I'd rather pay once for some good ones than get any more cheap ones - those are a complete waste of money, especially when they break or chew up a screwhead in the middle of something. Years ago on a trip to the USA, I bought just one 6" Pozidriv #2 bit (stamped Black & Decker USA), which was sold individually. It has outlasted all the cheaper ones I've bought since.

E.

----------------------

I was up a ladder earlier today, replacing a nestbox on the side of the house*: those 6" extensions are ideal for that: fixing it to the wall with a 2" No.10, reaching through to the back wall of the box. Both the newish Pozi #2 I tried first slipped, so I got the old B+D one out again. It is worn, but it works.

*It's a bit late to be doing nestboxes - should have done them in December really, but you never know. That particular site had squatters recently (European Tree Bees) who saw off the Blue-****, and we haven't seen any interest in the box since (do they put up warning notices? I wonder). I've just swapped the box out, and found that the bee's nest is really tough and springy material: neither the paper quality of a wasp's nest, nor waxy like honey bees' ones. It's quite cellular, and more like a very resistant natural sponge than anything else I can think of. Apparently Tree Bees never use the same site twice, so it's long defunct, but filling a lot of the upper space of the box. The Blue-****' old nest is untouched underneath.

I use ph2 bits for a Makita drywall driver. Bought a pack of 3 quite a few years back and granted they don't get loads of use, but I'm still on the first one.

I have a Wiha handle and bit set. The bits are about 3 1/2" long. The Pozidrive and Philips bits don't seem to be any better than the cheap ones to be honest. The only bits that show virtually no sign of wear are the square drive ones I bought in Canada.

My first 'long' bits were, still are, a length of 10mm steel bar with three flats ground at one end and a magnetic holder push fitted into a hole at the other, pointy end. Fortunately the magnetic holder is reasonable still. The length is the longest I could get in the driver case.
For PZ2 points, the most common I believe, then a sawn off screwdriver blade could work well.
Not quite an answer to your question but a possible alternative solution.

HTH xy.

I think the only long bits I haven't tried yet are the Snappy and the festool (festool is only 100mm).

As you have found most are junk and the rest are complete dung.

I'm currently ruining some erbauer impact 150's (admittedly in an impact driver). I do wonder if an eBay US search might reveal some other options, might go and have a look.

Back