Serious lathe....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started work as a pattern makers apprentice in 1968 I had to work on one of these lathes,Iwhen we needed to change the speeds the belt had to be moved over with a long length of timber because we couldn't stop the driving line shaft as it also was the drive for the engineering shop which was situated beneath the pattern shop.These lathes were very useful when turning patterns for street lamps,not much use for light pulls or wooden mushrooms though.The HSE would have a field day if they visited some of the old pattern shops.I wish I had the room for one today I would snap it up.Need a lot of engineering work to modernise it,but what a piece of kit.

Lovely piece of kit. I think it is a Silverline, or could be Clarke or NuTool - they all look the same once they go rusty.

K

It appears to have a powered longitudinal traverse via a shaft drive onto a rack (as opposed to a lead screw)

Have I interpreted that right?

EDIT; No, what I thought was a drive shaft is just the lower face of the I-beam bed.

BugBear

Back