Spade or flat drill bits.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible today to buy a set of these bits that are actually sharp enough to cut more than one side of a hole, before they go blunt, fail to cut at all and just burn the timber?

I wish I could have restored to me the set of four I once had; stolen years ago!

No matter what I pay for them, they just will not last for more than one use.
I am getting desperate. I re-sharpen them, but again, one use and they are pineappled.
Any recommendations purrrleeese!!!

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Obliged folks,

Yes, I agree, but Forstners need to be used in a drill press, which I don't have at present.
I need to drill two 1.25 holes to form the ends of a hand grip-in a board, used for painting and sketching.
I could try using my old Arcoy press, but I doubt the repair I had done would keep the drill vertical.
I also tried auger bits but they pull like crazy and could break a wrist!

Never had any trouble with my old spade-bits, of course, but as I said they have gone.

Think I'll resort to my brace and bit, for the prototype at least.

I am obliged for the response folks.

Regards

John

Me to, only just got a drill press, I wonder if it will make any difference. :wink:

Mike

Not a practice I would have imagined was easy. Not much length of point on a forstner to get a start
Did you use the drill freehand or did you use one of those "cages " to keep it vertical ?
I would have also thought a forstner would skate around . I can only give it a try. Why not?
Cheers
John :D
(First attempt at posting via phone!)

I just did it by eye. The good thing about a battery drill is that you can start the bit off slowly until it starts to bite and isn't going to skate around. Make sure the wings are nice and sharp, so it cuts in quickly. This method does however get more fraught the larger the drill bit.

Thanks Mike. I don't use a router table; I don't really have space, and in any case I am always more comfortable using a router hand-held. So I rarely use the router if I need a table. I find other ways.

The hand grip I am making is the same thing you used to find on wooden beer crates; just an elongated hole with circular ends, and rounded over from each side of the board.
I'll probably use my brace and bit!
;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Steve,

I tried that with a twist bit, but it just wanted to pull my hand off, and almost broke me wrist!! :shock:
At 78 and with a lot of arthritis in my thumbs, I don't want to risk that again! Thanks anyway bro!

Cheers

John

Hi John,
I'll PM you about popping over but I have a routing template that you can use with a hand held router (courtesy of Peter Sefton's routing course).
I'll drop you a note tomorrow.

Back