Fretworker website

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
(Note to the Mods, would you mind this being in the scroll saw section at least for a short time as it is aimed at Scroll saw enthusiasts)

Don't get excited!

I have done a bit on Google sites and show a couple of screen shots below.
I would be grateful if any experts here or anyone interested in the subject would be kind enough to have a look and comment.
Is it worth continuing?
Nothing has been published yet.

Attachments

• Web site 2.JPG
    Web site 2.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,458
  • Web site.JPG
    Web site.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 1,459
Looks good, I hope you stick with it. With all the information you have collected over a lifetime, it's going to make good reading to anyone interested in the hobby. Hopefully it might also tempt casual readers into trying it out too.

I think that it is brilliant that someone with your knowledge of the old Hobbies company has decided to take the time to document the history. I would keep the hobbies info separate from the info on other makes on your site. I would also contact the new hobbies company who do or did run a museum of the products from the original company as links between you both could be beneficial to you both.

John.

Not at all computer savvy myself, so don’t know what’s involved making a web site, but the two samples you have posted look good.

So I would say, go for it, put the (UK) on the map, regarding fret sawing/ scroll sawing. (hammer)

Chris.

Thanks folks.

For some unknown reason I have always had an intense interest in both the Hobbies and Handicrafts companies, it may stem from my fore-bearers, My Late Grandfather was a keen fretworker who actually started his business by giving fretwork lessons, this led to him dealing with the two companies, My late father was also a fretworker and I have been interested since the age of about 10 when I used to help my dad.

I still have all the hobbies weekly mags we had when I was a lad and collected Hobbies stuff all of my life.

I have always fancied doing a web site as there seems little about the companies on the net.

I am just a bit dubious of making a hash of it!

powertools":1pvtcoiq said:
I think that it is brilliant that someone with your knowledge of the old Hobbies company has decided to take the time to document the history. I would keep the hobbies info separate from the info on other makes on your site. I would also contact the new hobbies company who do or did run a museum of the products from the original company as links between you both could be beneficial to you both.

Thanks for that.

I have a separate section for both Hobbies and Handicrafts see screen-shot below.
(This is only a snapshot, more will be added and it may change from what is here)

I do indeed intend to have links to the New Hobbies company on the site together with info on how they were reformed, once I get near the publish stage I shall contact them and ask if they mind me putting a link to them on my site, I only intend to write positive stuff about them so they would be silly to say no (I imagine)

Attachments

• Web site 3.JPG
    Web site 3.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,364
Scrimper, +1 for all the comments above. Your pages look excellent, entirely "suitable" and very attractive for this subject matter, and will undoubtedly become a much used reference source in future. Even better, it's a BRIT site!!!

Please carry on, and thanks.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

AES

JanetsBears":2l916yqy said:
Hurry up and get it live Scrimper, I want to read more! :)

Chris
Ok here is a taster of a bit more! Lol.
It's only a screenshot so not very clear.

Attachments

• web.JPG
    web.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,273
AES":1elu5h0e said:
Absolutely1st Class scrimper. =D>

Let's have more, what are you hanging about at??? :D
AES

You are too kind.

Many thanks indeed for your pm very helpful and I am very grateful for your comments.

TBH I write a bit then get despondent thinking that it's going to turn out boring and people won't want to view it, and pack it in for a few days. Lol if you watch any of my videos you will know what I mean, my writing is as boring as I sound on the videos!

Keep at it, I'd love to read it. As for asking Hobbies I think that you'll them most obliging. When I did up the A1 and started taking to fairs to demonstrate with I did an A4 description sheet and asked them if I could put their logo on and they said yes, no problem.
happy scrolling
Steve

@scrimper:

You wrote, QUOTE: Lol if you watch any of my videos you will know what I mean, my writing is as boring as I sound on the videos! UNQUOTE:

Sorry mate, I completely disagree, and by the looks of things (posts above on this thread, and posts on your previous inputs re your videos) just about everyone else disagrees with you too.

Your writing is most certainly NOT boring, and while in your videos it's clear that you have a "countryman's" accent, so what - the accent does NOT make your videos boring either, and an accent is nothing to be ashamed of either - provided it's easy to understand, which yours most certainly is.

Primarily it's CONTENT that's important, along with saying/writing logically and clearly what needs to be said/written, and in both of those respects you are most definitely NOT boring.

(Come on the rest of you, back me up here please - assuming you agree, and I can't see why you wouldn't - the bloke is putting really good interesting stuff up on the net but gets discouraged 'cos he thinks it's boring).

AES

P.S. On accents, local people here often pick me up on my "accent" when speaking German. (many ask if I'm originally Dutch). I tell them that it's THEM who've got the accent, not me. I can't possibly have an accent 'cos I'm originally English. :D

i fully agree
videos with an english accent - great
website with information about scrolling in UK - great

go for it!!!!

Back