I love traditional wooden planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am having a good time in realizing some traditional British style wooden planes, so I made a video about the technics I am using for.
Sorry for some mistake in subtitles.

[youtube]GiH1-4C0-h4[/youtube]

Regards
Giuliano

I, too, am a big fan of making them. :)

Three cheers for cutting them out of a solid billet!

Many thanks Giuliano, I have just spent a very informative half hour watching your video. Very enjoyable and some very good techniques explained easily. I've subscribed to your youtube channel.
Just in case you haven't seen it, (although I'm sure you have), https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Plane-H ... 1879335328
Just kind of getting started making the odd bits connected with planes. Good to see your approach.
Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Regards
Chris

Congratulations Giuliano, great work and a very enjoyable video. Thanks for posting!

Very informative Giuliano - thanks very much for sharing the video. Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to make a bench plane?

Sorry for not commenting propely earlier. I have now remembered to watch your video.
I thought it was excellent - just enough demonstration to inspire people, without being too long or labouring the obvious.

Thanks for sharing.

swagman":1x2zrw8e said:
Hi Giuliano; I have always enjoyed viewing the techniques and tooling you choose to work with. As a follow up to your appreciation of traditional wooden planes I have added the following links to threads I recently posted on the SMC Forum Site. The 1st link shows the completed refurbishment of a 22 inch wooden Try Plane, manufactured by Edward Preston & Sons (Circa 1889 - 1932). http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... ment/page2

The 2nd link shows the ongoing refurbishment of a 16 inch Jack Plane, manufactured by Chapin Stephens Co. (Circa 1901-1929). http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... Jack-Plane

Its likely, you may need to be a forum member to view the supplied photos.

regards; Stewie Simpson.

Ciao Stewie,
You did a great job with those woodies, although I would have preferred to only repair broken parts for preserving their antique look.
nabs":1x2zrw8e said:
Very informative Giuliano - thanks very much for sharing the video. Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to make a bench plane?

I think two full days are necessary, specially if you are building an handled plane, because you have to wait the glue setting, too.

AndyT":1x2zrw8e said:
Sorry for not commenting propely earlier. I have now remembered to watch your video.
I thought it was excellent - just enough demonstration to inspire people, without being too long or labouring the obvious.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Andy,
Your comment is really appreciated.

Ciao
Giuliano

Hi Giuliano, the level of refurbishment carried out on the wooden Try Plane is something I would not recommend to others without the depth of knowledge within applied finishes to restore most of that lost patina.

regards Stewie;

It's child's play to restore an antique-looking finish on an old woodie where one specific colour or look isn't important!

It only needs a certain depth of colour (varied) and to look sort of old and a bit grimy. So a bit of stain, a rub with some oil paint or dirtied up BLO here and there, maybe some shellac or coloured varnish on top and some "antiquing wax" (paste wax + the contents of the vacuum cleaner, sifted well) and Bob's your mother's brother.

There is of course no rule that says you have to keep an old woodie looking old. If you have to cut away any surface during a repair you can scrape and sand back the rest of it to a nearly-new appearance if that's what floats your boat.

swagman":u9tgxgmi said:
Hi Giuliano, the level of refurbishment carried out on the wooden Try Plane is something I would not recommend to others without the depth of knowledge within applied finishes to restore most of that lost patina.

regards Stewie;

Stewie,
I did not referring to the patina, where you did a well done work in restoring it as the original (I wouldn't be able), but to the time injuries as scratches and bumps I would have kept.. But it's only my preference.
Sorry, my limitate knowledge of English don't help me to be detailed in exposing concepts. :oops:

Back