Thickness planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhill97

Established Member
Reaction score
Im on the look out for a surfacer and thickness planer, ideally I would like seperate machines however that seems more unheard off in the uk, there is a lot of combi machines about but then you run into troubles such as the thicknesser not being very wide.

In America everyone has separate machines and a 15 inch wide planer seems to be the norm however over here is completely different, anyone know of a website I might be missing haha

I would like to buy new aswell rather than reconditioning an old model

Thanks

Axminster sell separates. Lunch box style thicknessers are widely available here e.g. Makita, Dewalt, Jet etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could take a look at these machines made by SCM:
http://www.scmgroup.me.uk/en/products/classical-machines.c884/surfacer-planers-jointers.892
http://www.scmgroup.me.uk/en/products/classical-machines.c884/thicknessers-planers.973

Above is a link to their Surface planer range also a link to their thickness planer range. In the uk quite a lot of firms use Four Cutter Machines, these usually surface and thickness all in one pass, some use thickness planers and a surface planer as separates. It is generally cheaper to buy a decent combined planer/thicknesser than separates.

Mark

Unless you plan on doing a lot of planing I would recommend a combined planer thicknesser. I have a Sedgwick machine and can't fault it. It is very sturdy and is 16" wide so more than big enough for most jobs. I think Axminster sell them for around 5500. Not sure how much u want to spend but you can buy a very good machine (scm felder wadkin) for around 7000 maybe try Scott and Sargent or daltons hope this helps

I have a Jet JPM-13CSX floor standing thicknesser for sale. Capacity 330x250, light use, clean, £700 no VAT.

Attachments

• IMG_1409a.jpg
    IMG_1409a.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 90
Back