Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Vann
Bodger7 wrote:...Vann suggested a Stanley No 1 plane and this seems to be an ideal tool for a child (although I hadn't heard of them previously)...
Sorry, that suggestion was tongue-in-cheek. Stanley No.1 planes are rare and horrendously expensive.

A more serious suggestion would be a block plane: 110, 120, 220 etc. When my daughter was around 10yo I gave her a No.3 plane, but she didn't have the upper body strength to use it. She has since taken a liking to my flat bottom spoke shave and has used it on a few projects (including a school project as the school is ill-equipped - it seems the trades aren't worth serious investment anymore :evil: ). She's now 15.

Cheers, Vann.
By Bodger7
Hi Vann
As soon as I started looking for a Stanley No 1 I realised that the suggestion was in jest. I fell for it!!! Thank you for your additional suggestions. The block plane that I have is too difficult for him to grip so I am going to move to the spokeshave suggestion as I have one doing nothing.
Cheers
By Bodger7
Thanks profchris. I am going to keep that one in reserve but for £5 it will be well worth trying if he maintains his interest.
By AndyT
Sorry this is a bit late, but looking for something else I noticed that Dieter Schmid have a section on tools for children

https://www.fine-tools.com/kinderwerkzeug.html

In case you don't know them, they are a first class company in Germany selling world wide and very easy to deal with.
By Brandlin
"Tools for children"

What a wonderful idea!

I could do with a decent cast iron table saw - I have a 19 year old college student built like a second row rugby forward in exchange....
By Bodger7
Hi Orchard. I have now bought a Japanese pull saw and I ordered a plane as suggested by Profchris. The latter has been delivered to my grandson in my absence and I have yet to see it as they are now on holiday. My grandson is looking forward to trying it out as am I. As a matter of interest I did come across a Stanley No.1 plane while on holiday but it was not for sale as it was an exhibit in a Woodwork Museum. It looked ideal for a child.
I will refer back to your suggestions if my grandson's interest in woodwork continues. Do you by any chance have a link to the ECE Boy's plane? I have found the chisels on eBay and can find other ECE planes but not the Boy's plane.
Thank you for your suggestions.
By orchard
Bodger7 wrote:Hi Orchard. I have now bought a Japanese pull saw and I ordered a plane as suggested by Profchris. The latter has been delivered to my grandson in my absence and I have yet to see it as they are now on holiday. My grandson is looking forward to trying it out as am I. As a matter of interest I did come across a Stanley No.1 plane while on holiday but it was not for sale as it was an exhibit in a Woodwork Museum. It looked ideal for a child.
I will refer back to your suggestions if my grandson's interest in woodwork continues. Do you by any chance have a link to the ECE Boy's plane? I have found the chisels on eBay and can find other ECE planes but not the Boy's plane.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Glad to be of some possible help.
We went for a small Japanese saw too,she was already differentiating between push and pull types with using Silky's for green, and a Spear&Jackson for rough cross-cutting -so a small Japaness saw was a no-brainer.

If you're a bodger, I'm sure he'd love using a shavehorse :D
By Bodger7
Hi AndyT
Thank you for that link. I didn't connect the ECE plane in Orchard's message with the tools referred to in your earlier post so thanks for repeating it.
By BHwoodworking
what about the minature veritas stuff?
https://www.axminster.co.uk/search/?q=v ... initure&nR[visibility_search][=][0]=1&

is is that even a bit small they arnt that cheep eather.

good to see some young 'uns getting in to woodworking :D