Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Inspector
Sliders also in some fashion take space away from a drawer. You loose width or depth. Adds up in with a lot of drawers.

Mike will also have the option of quickly sliding the drawer out to take to where he is working. All his carving tools in one drawer for example can be at hand if he wants to carve outside on a nice day. Well if he carves that is. :)

Pete
By MikeG.
guineafowl21 wrote:A fine looking, practical tool cabinet. Did you get the idea for exposed dovetails on the drawers from my kitchen sideboard? I’d be honoured if you did. But not surprised if you didn’t... ;)

Sorry, no, I haven't seen them. I've been doing exposed dovetails on drawers for years.
By MikeG.
Thanks Richard.

I couldn't sleep last night, and my mind wandered onto corner cupboards. Triangles, triangles, triangles.........Four shelves won't reach the front, but the top and bottom ones will, so how do I work out the dimensions of the triangles I'll be cutting? Ten seconds in a drawing programme....hours of torment lying in bed half awake!
By AndyT
MikeG. wrote:Thanks Richard.

I couldn't sleep last night, and my mind wandered onto corner cupboards. Triangles, triangles, triangles.........Four shelves won't reach the front, but the top and bottom ones will, so how do I work out the dimensions of the triangles I'll be cutting? Ten seconds in a drawing programme....hours of torment lying in bed half awake!

I can't remember if he skips over the layout but watching Roy Underhill might help:

https://video.unctv.org/video/the-woodw ... rd-part-1/

https://video.unctv.org/video/the-woodw ... rd-part-2/
By MikeG.
Using the last shelf left over from the original shelving unit, I made a shelf for the upper cupboard. This will be hidden behind doors:

I thought I'd quickly do the piece covering the junction with the ceiling. In for a penny, in for a pound.......so it's dovetailed too:

As the longer piece across the front is about 1200 tall, I had to clamp a piece of scrap in place so that the tail board had something to rest on when marking out for the pins:

The original shelves yielded up a reasonable amount of easily re-usable timber, but they also left these pieces:

Those are the original sides, from here:

Well, I got to thinking, and decided to re-use them for pretty much their original purpose, but as part of a corner cupboard. That is why I had glued these boards together yesterday:

So today I de-clamped them and started marking out then sawing:

The problem I am trying to resolve is this hell-hole at the end of my bench:

Apart from the vacuum cleaner there are various jigs, bench hooks, shooting boards and so on, a vacuum drop-box, and all sorts of detritus which falls from the end of the bench. When I started looking at the shelf spacing on the old cheek pieces, I had the brainwave of having the vacuum cleaner sit in the bottom of the cupboard, with the hose projecting through side-wall. This meant adding one extra shelf position:

I calculated that I needed to remove 8.3mm from one edge of the side boards to obtain the necessary angle with the front to make a 135 degree junction, so I set that on the calipers and then used them as a marking gauge:

I then planed down to that line (using a number 6 Record, for those who like to know this stuff):

I'd previously cut the corners off the big triangles, and cleaned them up ready to fit as shelves. Now I glues and screwed them into the housings in the old side-pieces:

Those intermediate shelves are set a few mm back from the inside face of the face frame. The top and bottom will be different though, so I left them out at this stage. Here is what the corner cupboard will look like:

By Sgian Dubh
MikeG. wrote: I couldn't sleep last night ... Triangles, triangles, triangles.........so how do I work out the dimensions of the triangles I'll be cutting? Ten seconds in a drawing programme....hours of torment lying in bed half awake!

Presumably AutoCAD, Rhino, or similar? I agree, seconds in AutoCAD, probably along the lines of offset the front edge of your bottom/top shelf, and a couple of trims? I'm also guessing the back corner of your pine triangular shelving unit, seen just above this post might be closer to 91 or 92º rather than 90º. On the other hand, it's going into a junk corner of your workshop, so perhaps such fussiness and niceties don't much matter, ha ha.

As for torment about triangles whilst half asleep in bed, maybe in future you can simply allay it with the thought of CAD … tomorrow, and nod off. Slainte.
By woodbloke66
Sgian Dubh wrote:
As for torment about triangles whilst half asleep in bed, maybe in future you can simply allay it with the thought of CAD … tomorrow, and nod off. Slainte.

Not a chance, from one who 'knows' :lol: - Rob
By MikeG.
Sgian Dubh wrote:Presumably AutoCAD, Rhino, or similar? I agree, seconds in AutoCAD, probably along the lines of offset the front edge of your bottom/top shelf, and a couple of trims? I'm also guessing the back corner of your pine triangular shelving unit, seen just above this post might be closer to 91 or 92º rather than 90º. On the other hand, it's going into a junk corner of your workshop, so perhaps such fussiness and niceties don't much matter, ha ha.

No, they're 90 degrees. There is some twist in one of the side pieces, but that will soon pull back square when fixed to the wall.

I use Draftsight at the moment, having spent decades using Autocad. Draftsight, however, is soon to stop being a freebie, so I'll be moving over to Qcad, Librecad, or something else similar. I can't wait....
By MikeG.
More progress:

I cleared the corner, took all the shelves away, and cut this one to length (it's attached to my bench so it can't go completely):

I fixed an overhanging shelf to the top of the corner cupboard, then offered everything into place:

It didn't require any adjustment, so out it came, and I made the bottom shelf. Now, this had to be absolutely bang on as the face frame will finish flush with it, so I made it too big then trimmed it back to size. I then sorted out the best position for the vacuum hose to enter the cupboard, and cut a hole:

I then put the cupboard back in place and screwed everything in permanently, and stood the Henry in place:

It's feeling like a new workshop already!!