Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By MikeG.
This all took rather longer than I'd thought. I started by cleaning up all the wedged tenons and dovetails:

Then moved on to preparing the drawer supports for fitting, starting with the central vertical piece:

I then offered a couple of frames up so that I could locate a mortise under the top to house the end of the vertical member:

Then I glued in the drawer support frames. It is worth pointing out that I was fighting some pretty fearsome cupping on the outer (front) boards. You can see that I had previously run a relief cut up the middle of each, so these clamps are as much for pulling that in to nearly-flat as holding the frames in place:

I then glued the central piece in, with each of the half lap joints fitting rather neatly:

After gluing in some dividers on top of the central drawer runner and clearing a space (shifting that huge pillar drill wasn't easy), I started lifting the carcass into place:

I decided a day or two back to shift this cabinet from its original location by a few inches so that I could work over-long pieces of wood at the bench, unhindered:

I screwed in a quick support under the back of the bottom drawer frame:

.......and bracketed the two vertical members back to the wall (well, joist), at the top:

By Bm101
Still should have painted the wall behind it. Not round it. Just behind it. You Madman. Out there just winging it.
By Steve Maskery
MikeG. wrote:
I'd love to know what the difference is between "open assembly time" and "total assembly time".

I may be mistaken, but I've always understood it to be the difference between how long you have got to adjust the joint to get the components into the right place, and how long it is before you can sensibly take the clamps off.

So typically I use a PVA. Open time 5 or 10 minutes (I can't remember exactly but it is something like that). Clamping time 30 mins to 2hrs, depending on how harshly you want to handle it. But full bonding strength is not achieved for 24 hours.
By MikeG.
Stanleymonkey wrote:.......Hard to believe that's all recycled, cupped timber........

Mostly. There is some new timber in there too. The drawer supports, for instance, are mainly new.
By ColeyS1
Looking really smart Mike. Lots of components to deal with. The best ever ever ever ever ever thing I've done with cascamite is buy some scales. To start with it's a real thick lumpy paste but after adding the remaining water magic happens and the glue turns good. In comparison to titebond 3 I'd say it's not as good for stickyness. Its brittle and under stress the joints fracture but the 'open time' does mean it has its uses. Out of interest have you got some digital scales suitable for weighing grams ?

Again, tidy work that will be awesome when completed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
By MikeG.
Thanks Coley.

Yeah, I perhaps should have used Cascamite. My biggest issue with it isn't mixing it, although that's a bit of a faff especially if you underestimate how much you'll need and need to mix up more in the middle of gluing up........no, the biggest issue is shelf life. I can go months between the times I need it, and in that time, the stuff can have gone off on the shelf. Keeping it in a tightly sealed plastic bag helps, but I've still probably chucked more away than I've used over the years.
By MikeG.
Thanks Wallace. I'll be making a Welsh dresser for my kitchen in the next 6 months or so. Look out for that........the joinery (and the damn wood!) will be better than this.
By MikeG.
Dovetails. Lots and lots of dovetails. Starting with the two doors for the tool cabinet, of ex 3x1 PAR:

Awkwardly, the side pieces were so long that I had to mark out along the bench utilising a temporary support, rather than across the bench in the usual way:

Glue up was easy, and I thought I'd treat myself to some simple corner clamping guides in MDF before starting. They helped:

There's two:

On to the drawers. There are 10 drawers, which is twenty fronts and twenty sides. I wrestled the SCMS out from its hiding place and cut everything to length:

I've roughed out quickly the layout of the dovetails. Now it's just hours and hours of sawing and chiseling......
By AndyT
Mike, maybe hours and hours of sawing and chiselling will slow you down to a more normal pace - I'm feeling tired just reading about the amount of work you've got done on this project each day! :D
By MikeG.
I've only been part-time during the week, as I've had a bit of drawing to do. I think I've got a clear weekend, and I hope to have the drawers done and the main doors fitted by close of play on Sunday. I do need a quick visit to the builder's merchant first, though, as I'm a little short of wood.