Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Bm101
farwalker wrote:Hi I am new to the site and would like some advise if possible ,I was left a toolbox full of fitted GTL tools they look like they have not been used the chisels still have the paper tip protectors etc but they have been sitting in a very damp basement and are all very rusty ,should I clean them up or should I leave them all dirty and rusty? as some people say cleaning them loses all their value I thought I would ask the experts .PS This is my first post so I hope it is Ok.

Hi and welcome,
I'd post a few pictures of them in the handtools section hand-tools.html for more informed response than I can give you. I think they were Guaranteed Tools Limited? If so, I don't think they will hold any great value although I could well be wrong, I'm certainly no expert. Maybe a boxed set could be worth a fortune... :| I wouldn't pack the day job in just yet though. :wink:
There's a little information on them in the links below. Bit harder to find info on their non-plane tools. Searching for info on the net about them is hampered by another unrelated Chinese tool company called GTL so search using 'vintage GTL' variants.
http://www.handplanedatabase.com/the-da ... l-limited/
viewtopic.php?t=9640
gtl-plane-any-ideas-t27375.html
Be interesting to see some pics though. If they are valuable because they are unusually rare or collectible then you're right, sell them as they are. I think collectors like to do any work themselves generally. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member will be along to advise shortly.

Cheers
Chris
By Bm101
I've used it as part of some gear I got as a job lot from a ukw member who sold up a load of stuff some time back to move abroad. Best used warm it works really well for purpose. For waxing soles it would be very expensive. I'd just use a candle. Does all you need it to do and infinitely cheaper. :wink:
By Bm101
No. I made what was supposed to a tongue in cheek light hearted joke aimed a bit at Jacob but certainly not in any way 'ripping the poop'. I know he is far more knowledgeable about woodworking than many if not most. He's probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn certainly. Like many others I was glad when his previous ban was lifted because he adds a lot to the forum and tbh it was A Bit Quiet without him.
I've also been on here long enough to know he likes to poke a bit of fun and I would guess that as with most people who like a joke he can take a bit of humour back. That'd be my guess.
If you look at any of my posts I try to be polite and respectful to other members.
Good you feel the need to defend him but I'm not sure he needs it tbh.
Not sure if you misread the thread but at no point did I recommend any expensive finishes or ever have done... Unless you count the cost of a white foal and finding a spare virgin or two to sacrifice of course.
Might have been better if you'd PM'd me instead of relating to it on a completely different thread with no link or context if I'm honest.
Cheers now.
Regards
Chris
By kevanf1
Little late in seeing this post but I do note a fairly recent entry...

If you use acid for rust removal (brick cleaner is quick & cheap but aggressive) then a good idea is to rinse the tool out in a sodium bicarbonate (washing soda, not baking soda which will work but it's expensive). Washing soda is an alkaline and will neutralise most acids used for rust removal. A further rinse with plain water and then a good fast drying out with a hot air gun will help prevent 'flash' rusting. Of course give the tool a really good spraying or wiping with a general purpose oil (3 in 1 or equivalent). I tend to save the dregs out of fresh motor oil canisters and dilute it about 50/50 with white spirit. I wouldn't use 'used' motor oil though as it is slightly acidic so defeating the whole rinsing procedure :(