Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By MikeG.
Am I right in thinking that you've got the planes upside-down on the till because the handles would stick out too far if they were the other way up, fouling one of the leaves on you doors? As a display, it works fine, but to take a plane out of there that way up looks like it would require two hands making it a bit of a nuisance in active use. Same with putting it back.
By Noho12C
MikeG. wrote:Am I right in thinking that you've got the planes upside-down on the till because the handles would stick out too far if they were the other way up, fouling one of the leaves on you doors? As a display, it works fine, but to take a plane out of there that way up looks like it would require two hands making it a bit of a nuisance in active use. Same with putting it back.

You are right, they are upside-down because of the handle. I wanted initially to have the handle at the bottom, but that would mean either to sacrifice some space on the doors or have the planes nearly vertical or increase the depth of the cabinet.
As illogical as it seems, having the planes upside down solve all those issues. And is surprisingly comfy to use : grab the handle with the right hand, the tote with the left and off you go. And you can put it back easily with one hand, this isnt really an issue.
By Noho12C
Gerard Scanlan wrote:Great cabinet. Nice flaps in the doors. It is a very good idea to have a place for everything. But what really struck me is how clear your bench is! I wish I was better at that.

Ah ah thanks ! I need to have the bench clear otherwise I cant function properly. Sounds like some form of OCD. But the tool tray at the back of the bench is a complete mess, no matter how hard i try to keep it clean #-o
By colinc
Nice job on the cabinet.

I built one to this design too, but I made it a few inches wider than the original. I made mine from 18mm birch ply (except the door frames which are oak) as I am a cheapskate! I first noticed the cabinet in Mike Pekovitch's book and took a fancy to it.

Here's a link to the original https://www.finewoodworking.com/videowo ... ol-cabinet

I did buy the plan. As others have noted, the only marginal thing is depth for the planes. I left too much space behind the door inner doors originally so the things on them clashed with a plane handle. I moved them a bit so there is now just enough space in there for the chisels.

I just need to finish it off as I still haven't got everything organised into it yet.

regards,

Colin