Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Robbo3
Not so much to do with wood turning but helpful if you get stuck.
Wing nut socket.
Tip 006 - Wing Nut Socket.jpg

The core of the socket has to be wide enough to accept the centre of the wingnut. I think this was 13mm. Cut the slots with a hacksaw or angle grinder.
Of course you could use a pair of pliers but sometimes there's not enough room or the nuts may be rusted solid, as toilet seat bolts sometimes are, The socket allows much more torque.
BTW, I didn't sacrifice one from my best socket set, I bought it specially. :)
By Robbo3
As I get older I no longer have the feel or the strength of grip that I used to have. To that end I have a selection of holding devices along with ordinary/long nose pliers & mole grips. Now I can grip a thread to wire brush it (wire brush fitted to grinder) or chamfer the end or even shorten it.
The third pair from the left are sold as stainless steel fishing pliers but are useful because of the narrowness of the blades & the right hand pair are for seperating split links.

Tip 010 - Pliers.jpg

I also have (not in photo) a small length of 6mm thick metal bar which has been drilled & tapped from M3 to M10. Makes holding a bolt to cut it to length so much easier. If it protrudes too far, thread a nut on first & use it to lock the bolt against the bar.
By Kujo
Post should be called Woodworking Life Hacks. Going to be following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Robbo3
Bag Opener.
I hesitate to post this because these bag openers were once quite common especially for gardening, but I can't seem to find any now. However if you can find one they make cleaning up the shavings so much quicker & easier.
Tip 015 - Bag Opener.jpg
By Robbo3
Most liquids used for cleaning can be used more than once.

Tip 016 - Used Cleaners.jpg

Don't throw used cleaning liquids away after their first use. Instead save each in its own container, the sediment will drop to the bottom leaving cleaned liquid behind.
Used paraffin for cleaning greasy items notably car parts & the protective grease on new items
Used white Spirit, Meths & Cellulose Thinners for cleaning brushes but not for thinning.
By Jonzjob
Keep your superglue in the fridge, it lasts much longer.

But don't let your PVA glue drop down to or near freezing point and keep it in the house in the winter if your workshop isn't heated.

The same with epoxy resin or if it does get too cold it will go almost solid. If it does then put the containers in a small saucepan of hot water on the stove for 15 minutes and just let it simmer and it will return to liquid. Some people use the microwave, but as I don't like the things I stick to the water. It doesn't go above boiling does it :mrgreen:
By Robbo3
A cheap, bright light.

Tip 020 - Panel Light 12w.JPG

12w LED panel complete with transformer. Available in various sizes. This one is approx 150mm square & cost about £7 from Ebay.

I mounted mine on an articulated arm which hangs from a french cleat at the rear of the lathe. Also added an in line switch for convenience.
By Robbo3
Skewchigouges (Alan Beecham)

Tip 019 - Skewchigouges.jpg

I've bought HSS blanks from Ashley Iles in the past to make items like a three point tool. That's a misnomer as really it's one point created by grinding three flats.
Phil.p posted a link to some cheap (£2.50 each now £4.65) 10mmx100mm HSS blanks, from an Amazon Hong kong seller, so I bought four (post1219767.html#p1219767).
I had always wanted to try a skewchigouge so this provided a cheap way of doing it.
Made 2 & lost both to other woodturners - beginners love them. Never mind, I have a cunning plan. I'll use a collet chuck handle (see next tip)
By phil.p
I had ten 6mm x 100mm bars for small skews as well - even including a decent ferrule - http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/?s=ferrules - with an offcut for a handle the tool cost less than £1.50. :D
They wouldn't cost much more now although the price of the steel seems to have nearly doubled.
By Jonzjob
I have heard of skewchigouges and wondered what they were? That looks like a goodie. I may well finish up with a couple of those?

A few years back I got a couple of HSS 3/8" bars. One is now a skew gouge and the other a 3 point. The ferrules I used were French copper pipe. It's VERY hard and ideal for the job.

https://flic.kr/p/24aWqbf

A 3/8" round skew gouge is a real pleasure to use and perfect for detailed work.
By phil.p
Yes, I have two 10mm round skews, one angled and the other straight. Much easier to use than flat ones.
By Robbo3
ER20 Collet handles.

Tip 20 - Collet Handles.jpg

There are several handles on the market, produced & sold by professional turners, which allow a quick change of tool.
These were less than £8 each. Collets are approx £6-£8 if bought individually.
I think the material around the handle is shrink tube. It's only to take away the coldness of the metal.
You could of course add a much longer handle.
The bottom tool is just an angled flat ground on a 6mm HSS round bar with the nose ground like a spindle gouge.