Three unusual doors.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a collection of handmade nails, and I dug out a bag or 2" ones:

ZRFLzf7.jpg

Which I then cut down to 1":

H5ThbwM.jpg

I hammered these into the holes I'd drilled previously in the door:

GRFEO1P.jpg

so8zexz.jpg

The missing ones are because I have some bolts to fit, and I wanted to leave myself options. Anyway, you'll have worked out that the nails are decorative only.

I then drew out the template for the carving of the spandrels over the internal door:

iR2NpRo.jpg

before removing everything that wasn't needed. I can't say I am a natural carver, and I've never used carving chisels before (thanks Dave :) ), but the result seems OKish to me:

oYAVlIP.jpg

I'll get a better in situ photo tomorrow when the light is OK:

8Dsi12g.jpg

I carved the other spandrel today:

CHmkaey.jpg

fkYZDfb.jpg

S5orVH0.jpg

I then faffed around with the door stops for quite a long time, and finally got them fitted with their seals:

ItLLaLv.jpg

MdMVOL6.jpg

The groove on the back is for that expanding foam seal stuff I used previously, which will draft seal the planted on door stops.

You can see in this next photo (just) that the door stops extend past the face of the spandrels, and with a little cover strip at the top, form a frame around the carving:

6zPRwCS.jpg

agree, very impressive doors, I can only imagine how heavy they must have been, the carving is very nice as well, that'll still look good in a few hundred years.

Looks great Mike! Bet you're glad you got the kerning error out of your system before you tackled these!

Steve Maskery":ogeznk10 said:
Mike, if you send me your address I'll send send you a packet of Polyfilla for those holes.
Always like to help.
:)

:D Thanks Steve. That's thoughtful of you. Oak pegs, though do a better job of holding M&Ts together than Polyfilla does. I imagine. :D

Setch":zael1ti2 said:
Looks great Mike! Bet you're glad you got the kerning error out of your system before you tackled these!

Yeah, it's always better to make your mistakes on paper rather than in wood. I'll be re-carving that piece shortly.

thetyreman":t7hrjz7k said:
agree, very impressive doors, I can only imagine how heavy they must have been, the carving is very nice as well, that'll still look good in a few hundred years.

Thanks Ben. Appreciated.

Really impressive work. Thanks for writing it up in such detail, its really appreciated!

Have another thanks Mike. That last door is, and I don't trot out the word unless absolutely necessary, awesome! I'd spend all day long going in and out of that. I bet it feels really good opening and closing it never mind looking at it =D>

Yup, without being "effusive" (!!) these 3, especially the last, really are a fine example of the chippy's skill. Agree, "awesome" (and like the previous poster, that's NOT a word I use at all lightly.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. And yes, I do look for excuses to go through it. I've just had a visitor, a hobby woodworker (with a serious workshop), who signed up for my proposed woodworking class as soon as he saw the door.

I'm having difficulty organising the locks/ latches, so it won't get used as much as it should for the next few weeks.

Lovely work. But a question. What’s the significance of the name? The possessive case suggests that the house belongs to Lintel.

Marineboy":7m6h4ihp said:
Lovely work. But a question. What’s the significance of the name? The possessive case suggests that the house belongs to Lintel.

It did. It was a farm belonging to the Lintel family for 200 years.

Back