thinking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanding and teak oil would be my choice. Steer clear of any varnished type finish. Just my opinion but why store up work for the future?
Just an opinion. Don't claim to be a pro!

AndyT has used some stuff with a french name to good effect - can't for the life of me remember what it's called and my goggle-fu has failed me, but he did a post about it regarding his adirondack chairs.

I recall that while it does need re-application, it seems to last a bit longer than others and he was very pleased with it, so might be worth trying to look it up.

rafezetter":2cielplx said:
AndyT has used some stuff with a french name to good effect - can't for the life of me remember what it's called and my goggle-fu has failed me, but he did a post about it regarding his adirondack chairs.

I recall that while it does need re-application, it seems to last a bit longer than others and he was very pleased with it, so might be worth trying to look it up.

Le tonquinois (spelling is questionable)

I suspect that most pub outdoor tables don't really tend to have a very long life, so I wonder if it's worth finishing them at all. After all, applying finish to a full complement of tables would be a fair old job, especially as they will probably have to be refinished annually. Besides, finding a finish that will stand up to beer spills, fag-end burns, spilt food, pressure washing, impact of hooligan and all the rest isn't going to be easy - or cheap.

Phil's right. Leave 'em unfinished.

From what I remember from the days of open pubs, outside tables generally have nothing, or the sort of stuff sold for fences and sheds, applied each season.

Back