There's no such thing as a stupid question eh?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
I know they say that there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I think I'm skating pretty close to the wind with this one.

But I've got to ask, just to be sure -

Was Stanley the only company to use the Bailey name on their planes?

- I've found the most part of a plane who's body is marked "No3" "Made in England" "Bailey" ...does this "Bailey" marking mean that it is definitely a Stanley product?

Martin.

Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to your question. However, I believe the Stanley tool company bought the Bailey pattern/company back in the day. Therefore, I suspect there will be other Bailey planes which were not Stanley. Although I would guess it would be a rare and perhaps valuable beast.

Good luck with your investigations.

Thanks Blue -

Yes, I've read up the history of the Bailey/Stanley connection, but I just needed to confirm 100% that seeing "Bailey" meant "Stanley".

- I see so many planes with "Bailey" molded into the body but with "Record" lever caps that I started to wonder....

No doubt someone will come along sooner or later with the definitive reply.

Martin.

For a summary of a very convoluted history of the use of the names, try https://virginiatoolworks.com/2012/04/2 ... t-history/

But, sticking my neck out, for planes made in England I think it's simpler, and only Stanley marked their planes Bailey - other makers of very similar planes (Record, Woden, Rapier, Sorby, Marples etc) didn't. All my Stanley bench planes have only the Bailey name on the main casting, whether made in USA or UK and the few I have from other makers are not marked Bailey.

Your plane would have also had the Stanley name on the lever cap - easily lost or swapped.

Thanks Andy.

Confirms what I thought.

This No 3 is nice and quite clean but missing the blade, cap iron & lever cap so I'll have to keep an eye out for those now.

Off to read the link you kindly sent.

Martin.

If you mean the way "bailey" appears on the castings, yes, only stanley.

Leonard Bailey made tools before stanley, and there was another company "bailey tool co" owned by someone unrelated to Leonard, and IIRC, they were where the name defiance originated. Presumably, stanley bought that company out, too, since they labeled second-line planes with that name.

You can find the pre-stanley tools (marked "l. bailey boston") here in the states without too much trouble or expense, but they're not necessarily common. I've never come across a "bailey tool co" post-stanley bailey patent plane in person, but they're pretty common in antique tool auctions - kind of showy (and ugly).

Thanks D_W.

Yes, I just mean the run of the mill Stanley Baileys - it's all I see around here, other than Records.

Martin.

Back