The Woodworker!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
£6 from the local second hand book store.

Full of handy comments like:

"Every man interested in woodwork should take this essentially practical magazine"

"Veneer may hide shoddy workmanship, but not for long"

"Don't use sapwood, It is only wood which has never grown up"

"When a man has had a tool in use for a number of years he hates to discard it even when it shows signs of being near the end of it's useful life"

224 pages of this comedy!

Annual Volume, from 1942 ALF. 'Cos I know you'll be interested. Bit modern for you perhaps?

Oooooooooo, you lucky thing. I'm as jealous as a jealous thing. Have I mentioned I sorta c*ll*ct these? :oops: Any comment on accquiring wood in rationed wartime Britain? The ones from the 50s are full of sage advice on what timber you can and can't get without a licence, but I've wondered when that came in to force. (I know, I need to get out more...) Enjoy reading it; I know I've split my sides more than once reading them, but I always learn something too.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":728ur9ht said:
I've split my sides more than once

Sounds like you need to collect some old-fashioned corsetry too :D !

Yours

Gill (Oy, Frank... it's my turn in the bunker... move over)

Alf":3eotf1wh said:
. Have I mentioned I sorta c*ll*ct these? :eek:ops

I know, but I'm keeping this one! It's the same I mentioned recently - but when I got there they said it was sold - well, clearly not, as I bought it yesterday. It's a bit of a mess in the shop - so perhaps it got displaced.

I'll (+/-) a year, scan a few articles.

Nice bit on block planes, and work benches.

Adam

GillD":2i06u0t1 said:
Sounds like you need to collect some old-fashioned corsetry too :D !
Yeah, the reproduction whale bone is frankly terrible... :lol:

S'okay Adam, I wasn't going to mount a raid and liberate it from you :D Sounds like my kind of bookshop.

Cheers, Alf

Back