The usual - which lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchIan

Established Member
Reaction score
Some advice please.

I'm thinking about coming back to turning after 15 years away - mainly for bowls, boxes etc. Naturally, I don't want to spend too much up front. I'm looking at Ebay, for second hand kit, but as I live in France, I'd probably have to drive over to the UK to collect it. So, buying new is easier, and possibly cheaper. (For a variety of reasons, I'd prefer to buy in the UK).

I'd like the package from Axminster (AH1218VS lathe and SK80 chuck) at around £480. The alternative is Record (DML250 lathe and SC3 chuck) at £350. I believe that the (cheaper) Record package would do to begin with, but is the Axminster that much better? If I become really hooked, I can always upgrade later, and not lose too much.

Please help!

Hi Ian,
I have no experience of the Record kit that you mention, hopefully someone else on here will be able to give you a direct comparison.

However, after a lot of research and some helpful advice from this forum I did buy the Axminster AH1218VS with an SK100 starter kit at the end of last year.

I've been very happy with it, the bowl turning capacity was important in my decision, I haven't approached the limit yet but am happy with progress so far.

The VS gives me the ability to dial out the vibrations when roughing out a piece which is very welcome. They say if you've never had it then you don't miss it but I'd recommend it.

I have since bought various goodies from Axminster, (I did upgrade the tool rest to their stainless version as the standard one was a bit soft in my opinion) and have always been impressed by their mail order service, if not their choice of courier.

Good luck with your decision,

Steve

are there no turning clubs or forums in France, if you can buy second hand you will get more for your euro and usually a full set up if someone is giving up or passed!

Not sure clubs are a possibility. I live in a rural part of France - nearest town is 30 mls. The french, I believe, aren't great clubbers...

I've searched on LEBONCOIN (Gumtree/CraigsList sort of thing) and nothing showing nearby. EBay.fr is full of new lathes with unknown names (clones from chiwan?)
If I could find a french forum like this, I'd be comfortable. Until then, I'd prefer to deal in the UK.

Cheers

Sounds like an excuse for a week in Blighty, can you combine a "holiday" with prospective sales, visiting dealers and/or private sellers.

UK holiday looks out of the question, now.

I've almost decided on the Axminster bundle, so phoned them to ask delivery charges to France. Around £30. Compared with petrol, ferry and hotel, if I went to collect it from Sittingbourne, it's a no-brainer.

So, next question? SK100 or SK80?

Thanks

Back