The uprising has begun!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What it is, is that you pay money for this thing the idea being that it promises to do stuff that you ask it to do.

Most of the time it will ignore you or pretend to have not understood you or heard you.

It will also give an answer to a question that you never even asked.

The reason that it for no apparent reason laughs and cackles at you is because it’s probably knows something you don’t.

I’ve had one for years :roll:

The lad brought one at xmas, its set up in our living room and thats it, the only time it gets asked anything is when my 15 year old asks it to tell a joke, which are the type you find in a cracker !
It or she has answered a few general knowledge questions, and thats all its been used for so i can't
see any use for one !

There was a spoof written by a Times columnist in which the thing was "Alexis" - a sixteen year old boy who answered back every time it was asked something. I can't read about one now without thinking of that. :D Why on earth would anyone want one?

I don't really need one anyway if I think about it? I can talk to my car and ask it to phone home (ET ?? ) and I can talk to me MacBook becase it's got Siri on it with the latest OS, but I haven't got a clue how it works and the stupid thing has no idea how to make even a cup of tea !!

brother in law has a google home.
he has it linked to every bit of smart tech in his house (he has a lot of gadgets because he has to much disposable income and not enough imagination), so his gets used a lot "hey google, turn on the lights in the living room and make them sunburnt orange", "hey google, play me something I'd like" (google plays some tripe from some band I've never heard of), "hey google, turn the heat on and set it to 22", "hey google, play (insert some garbage film here) on TV 4.

he doesn't like me visiting, because it listens to me :D "hey google, tell me about giant black nobblers", "hey google, why can't I get it up", "hey google, play something by black sabbath", "hey google, shut up till next week" (think that last one doesn't work anymore)

Ask it what polish it behind the door is.

Pete

I completely get what you are all saying, however there are uses for them they were not designed for.

Coupled with 3rd party skills and products have done the following with the Alexa:

Allow a bed bound very athritic lady to be able to turn the heating on\up\down\off. Play songs by X, this or that; whatever she wants between care visits.

Add x, y z to shopping list so that the ladies daughter who lives in Greece can make sure the Online shopping has everything she and the carers have added.

Jon.

Skeety":3s9ee6zu said:
I completely get what you are all saying, however there are uses for them they were not designed for.

Coupled with 3rd party skills and products have done the following with the Alexa:

Allow a bed bound very athritic lady to be able to turn the heating on\up\down\off. Play songs by X, this or that; whatever she wants between care visits.

Add x, y z to shopping list so that the ladies daughter who lives in Greece can make sure the Online shopping has everything she and the carers have added.

Jon.

Now those ideas are useful :D

I use okgoogle daily.

When I'm on the machine, and I need a timer, I press a single button on my phone's case, which I can do with my hands covers in metal splinters, and say -

Ok Google, timer one hour eighteen minutes

And sure enough, it tells me it's set the timer, and started it.

It's great. I used to use a Diddley egg timer thing that I'd always be loosing somewhere or other.

If you have an application for tech, it's usefull. If you're stuck in "we didn't have these things during the war" bahh humbug land, then that's fine too. But I bet you don't walk across your lounge to change the channels on your TV set any more either?

People probably scoffed remote control when it came out too!

julianf":4y9wha3r said:
I use okgoogle daily.

But I bet you don't walk across your lounge to change the channels on your TV set any more either?

But there were only 2/3 channels back in those days, and most of the tome the telly was broke!

Geoff_S":1rhzmdvi said:
julianf":1rhzmdvi said:
I use okgoogle daily.

But I bet you don't walk across your lounge to change the channels on your TV set any more either?

But there were only 2/3 channels back in those days, and most of the tome the telly was broke!
My best telly remote was an air pistol, great for channel changing but not so good for volume.

Random Orbital Bob":317zaas8 said:
Where's Jacob??
Lanzarote, until 7 pm yesterday. Sitting on the beach and having the occasional swim, G&T, not thinking about woodwork, or anything much at all!
Brilliantly hot 2 weeks, one day of cloud and light drizzle.

Back