Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By paul-c
hi chas
thanks for such a great thread.
normally i would be looking at all the turnings picking out which ones i like or dislike.
it is impossible - i am in awe of all your turning work and love each and every piece, great work.
thanks for sharing
paul-c
By CHJ
Thank you for the comments Paul, a bit of encouragement for me to get back up into the shed after lunch.
Don't purport to do anything artistic or particularly complex but I do enjoy the challenge of developing methods that allow me to do what I do with minimum of effort or skill requirement.

Does mean that over time my interests and output of pieces and design methods changes as the wind blows, one of the benefits of doing it as a hobby and not a living, rarely does it become a chore.
By CHJ
Something for the eyes to play with, done as a passing check on cutting accuracy whilst the next batch of boxes were cooking.
DSCN3255.JPG
DSCN3256.JPG

Oak and Walnut
By paul-c
hi chas
thanks for showing another of your fabulous turnings for us all to admire. =D>

as you say "something for our eyes to play with"
i find i am drawn into the "cube" in the centre of the oak like one of those optical illusions - that make you wonder which way around is it.
as i said earlier i am in awe of all of your turnings and thank you for sharing your skills with us all on the forum.
cheers
paul-c
By 12345Peter
CHJ wrote:Something for the eyes to play with, done as a passing check on cutting accuracy whilst the next batch of boxes were cooking.

That really was something for the eyes, a great effect.

On the first page of this thread you mention thinning CA, what is it thinned with?

Regards
By CHJ
12345Peter wrote:On the first page of this thread you mention thinning CA, what is it thinned with?

If you are referring to the comment:-
"Thin CA before final cuts and any areas that show softness in finishing"

I am not referring to 'thinning' CA but to a particular version of CA that is very fluid and penetrates well as an adhesive.

CA is normally available in three types (different viscosities) from most outlets:- Thin, Medium, Thick, to suit the needs of particular bonding requirements.
By 12345Peter
CHJ wrote:
12345Peter wrote:On the first page of this thread you mention thinning CA, what is it thinned with?

If you are referring to the comment:-
"Thin CA before final cuts and any areas that show softness in finishing"

I am not referring to 'thinning' CA but to a particular version of CA that is very fluid and penetrates well as an adhesive.

CA is normally available in three types (different viscosities) from most outlets:- Thin, Medium, Thick, to suit the needs of particular bonding requirements.

OKay, my mistake, yet again (hammer)

I did take the meaning as thinning CA, but can now see my mistake. I mainly use the thin CA.

Regards
By CHJ
Thanks for the comments guys, just trying some differing methods of using up the off-cuts.

That one is a little on the large size diameter wise but I now have some dimension figures to work with for the others.

Just noticed that I said Ash when in fact it's Oak & Walnut, will miss-use my mod hat and amend thread.
(just put it down to old age, and the fact I have been battling some Ash today that has a mind of its own)
By CHJ
Managed a few hours in the shed to polish off some more pots that have been hanging around for a day or two, never a bad thing in itself as the glue-ups have a chance to acclimatise.

Ash & Sapele 110mm dia.
DSCN3258.JPG

Ash & Sapele 100mm dia.
DSCN3259.JPG

Sapele & Beech 98mm dia.
DSCN3260.JPG

Elm & Ash 80mm dia.
DSCN3261.JPG
By Bodrighy
You are worse than me for hoarding then using offcuts and scraps Chas LOL, must admit you have a lot more patience than me with the work you produce not to say your lovely finishing.

Pete
By CHJ
Just can't justify letting the bits go to a wood burner without at least salvaging some of it Pete.

Must admit playing with furniture grade wood*, all be it the reject bits, is a lot easier on the frustration stakes than struggling to tame a bit of over punky local wood.
Although I am sorting through the local stuff to try and get some feature wood to offset the blandness of the off-cut bits for future pieces.

* quite interesting how even furniture grade wood that is often too low in moisture for me to measure moves around enough to spoil the angles on small pieces. Pays to prepare stock and leave to acclimatise a few days before final cuts with some of it. Likewise the top rings of the boxes often move out of round enough to warrant a few days rest before making the lids, but there again single piece lids move out of round after a few hours, all adds variety to the amusement stakes.
By Bodrighy
I use a lot of the furniture grade wood and like you find that it is so dry it soaks up moisture from the atmosphere. I have a couple of pieces I did in rosewood and oak and they have moved at different rates. Smooth as a babies bottom when finished but now you can feel the join LOL. Using punky, almost falling apart wood is fun but you have to accept that sometimes you will end up with firewood whether you like it or not. Got a load of dogwood drying at the moment, be interesting to see how that works out as it looks good raw.

Pete
By CHJ
Turned out wet again this morning, time for more shop twiddling.

Walnut & Beech 90mm dia.
DSCN3307.JPG

Walnut & Ash 95mm dia.
DSCN3308.JPG

Walnut & Beech 93mm dia.
DSCN3309.JPG

Walnut & Ash 96mm dia.
DSCN3310.JPG
By CHJ
Got the assembly routine sorted apart from the support feet positioning, need to make a decision on their positioning and simplify the drilling involved.
DSCN3315.JPG
DSCN3316.JPG