Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By CHJ
Thanks for the comments and offer Pete, the curved pieces do give me a measure of satisfaction, not a problem if you have CNC etc. but a bit more of a challenge with my limited kit.

On the wood front it is frustrating that so much good wood goes to waste but thanks all the same, I'm currently up to the gills in furniture manufacturers off-cuts myself.

This little lot got delivered a couple of days ago just in case I needed some more, if the source ever dries up I'll keep your offer in mind.
What I don't take gets fed to a woodburner. The company where it comes from has had a wood fired boiler fitted in the last 12 months to make better use of their waste.
DSCN3093L.JPG
DSCN3094L.JPG
By nev
+1 for WOW!
By CHJ
Root of some description from the depths of Rich Burrows wood mine and the aluminium sweepings from the bandsaw.

Think the Walnut lid has got to go or be reworked, came out much lighter than expected although the contrast is not so great as the photo' would suggest.
DSCN3105.JPG
DSCN3107.JPG

130mm dia. 150mm high.
By nev
chas, have you somehow managed to join two separate pieces of timber with a wibbledy line for the base or is it just a wonder of nature?
By CHJ
nev wrote:chas, have you somehow managed to join two separate pieces of timber with a wibbledy line for the base or is it just a wonder of nature?

Just a wonder of nature, Spalted Beech.
By philb88
That first splated bowl is a stunner!
Only an hours work, very impressive! Was it an already dried piece, or turned green (well as green as spalted wood gets!)
By CHJ
philb88 wrote:That first splated bowl is a stunner!
Only an hours work, very impressive! Was it an already dried piece, or turned green (well as green as spalted wood gets!)

Already dried, it was part of a Log sliced up by someone about 18months ago to try and obtain some Beech slabs for me to make Cutting boards for them, I noticed that whilst drying they had spalted badly despite my efforts to avoid it, so I went back to the shed last october to salvage anything that had not been burnt.

So this is where those two bowls came from.
DSCN3044crop.JPG

Very quick to turn because of the softness of the wood caused by spalting, most time was taken up by sealing to add strength to surface.
By philb88
Looks much better as Splated bowls rather than nice plain grain Beech!! Would all most of been a waste for cutting boards! Has a real uniform spalting, most Ive had is quite irregular like your second one!
By Alli
Hi CHJ,

Your boxes are amazing, may I ask how you shape the curved sections that make up the lid? Do you use a router and template? I am really intrigued how you get the glue lines so tight.

Nice work.
Cheers David =D>
By CHJ
Alli wrote:...... may I ask how you shape the curved sections that make up the lid? ..

Bandsaw and sanded, this is the way to do it well most of it :lol: just a couple of simple jigs for the sanding.