The Simple Pleasures In Life

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried to get into my workshop this weekend but hit a problem with the 23 year old rimlock. I turned the key but the bolt didn't move. Oh dear.

After much cajoling backwards and forwards I got it to move. But of course, would I be able to do it again? Yes, I locked it OK. Years of experience
have taught me to leave it alone until the Monday, as I was only going to get a few more chances to make it work, and the next chance was going to
be to unlock it one more time to get the thing off and get a replacement.

So today, there was some cursing and sweating as I turned the key backwards and forwards until, hallelujah, the bolt opened. I then detached the
rimlock from the door.

Now, having made up my mind to replace it, what was the harm in undoing the thing and having a look? Yes of course the mysterious spring would boing out
and the internals would end up in a little pile of twisted metal parts, leaving me to wonder where the hell it all came from and how to put it back together.

But no, I gently took off the backplate and there it all was, staring at me, no obvious reason why it was not working. No obvious broken bits, nothing.

So I got a soft brush and gently swept away the dust and cobwebs. Still all OK.

I then sprayed it all with 40 year old Witch's Distillation and put it back together.

And hey presto, it worked \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

So why is it that with all of the complicated and exhausting things I have done in my life, this simple little result made me grin from ear to ear?

Is it just me? Probably :D

...but will it now open and close only for your key, or for any flat bit of metal you stick in it? :D

Doesn't work.........WD40...........Does work.

I'd still be sitting in a damn great boghole in the jungles of Zaire if it wasn't for WD40. It's witchcraft in a pressurised can (and note the improvised rubber shroud around the engine electrics).

lFZZQq2.jpg

How many times in your life do you take non-working stuff apart, clean it, put it back together, and find it works? Happened to me last week with a tumble drier, and the week before with my belt sander. You haven't done any formal repair, but something that didn't work now works.

MikeG.":2kdlsj4h said:
How many times in your life do you take non-working stuff apart, clean it, put it back together, and find it works? Happened to me last week with a tumble drier, and the week before with my belt sander. You haven't done any formal repair, but something that didn't work now works.

[youtube]nn2FB1P_Mn8[/youtube]

Approximately 43% of my working professional life.

Some little known fact regarding WD40.
It DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT work well with electric toothbrushes. (leaves a horrible taste)

Hi

My problem is with the key to the padlock on my shed. Twice I locked the key inside and had to take the hinges off to get back in. So, solution, use a combination lock.

Now which battle did I use as the code!!!!!!!! (It's an age thing I expect!!!)

Phil

So why is it that with all of the complicated and exhausting things I have done in my life, this simple little result made me grin from ear to ear?

Is it just me? Probably :D

No the simple things are the most rewarding

treeturner123":2bq1a67v said:
Hi

My problem is with the key to the padlock on my shed. Twice I locked the key inside and had to take the hinges off to get back in. So, solution, use a combination lock.

Phil

The burglars won't worry about the combination - they'll take the hinges off. :D

Nice post Geoff-S. Thanks for sharing.

And NO, it isn't just you, I like simple stuff too (especially when, as you say, you're expecting a "major overhaul" job and it ends up as a "wipe over with an oily rag" job).

AES

Our place in France had a gate with a spring catch and a dead bolt (I think they are the names?) The key worked fine in the spring bit but not the dead bolt. So one quiet day I decided to take the lock off and have a look at it and after about an hour and severay 'golly goshes' put it back so the tumblers were in the right order. After that they both operated perfectly. Part of the reason for the attack was to prove to the local wasps that it really was not worth them building their blasted nests in there!

The previous owner had obviously had the same problem with the wasps and taken it to bits. Then put it back with the tumblers, or whatever they are called, back in the wrong order. I too have to admit that I was feeling pretty chuffed with myself. Shame though that we never used the dead bolt. The spring jobbie was good enough we decided :?

treeturner123":1arsw0zt said:

Phil

You too, eh? My current PIN numbers are Agincourt and Culloden. The previous ones were Bosworth, Battle of the Spurs and Poitiers. :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mark

As I live in Worcestershire and am a 'Cavalier' I used to use the Battle of Worcester (1649) as one or part of my codes.

However, with so many computer sites needing various passwords, I'm now having to write some down!!

By the way, my shed is inside a locked barn and there is another user of the barn so I'm not so worried about locking myself out of that!!

Phil

Back