The MkII Paul Sellers Workbench Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never thought of that, genius idea and must definitely stand a chance of improving things. Thanks Andy - I'll dig out my other half's violin and see if there's any rosin lurking in there! :D

P.S Looking at common issues with rebate planes it seems a sloping top surface is one, but bizzarely it's usually sloping down towards the outside - with my attempt it was sloping towards the inside. I think probably connected with the constant iron/cap movement.

NickN":2nh1aenb said:
Custard, you are quite right in that Mr Sellers must have inspired a huge number of people to have a try at hand woodworking (I think the second hand prices of tools partly bear testament to that) and it was my watching of his first workbench build in his garden that made me decide to enter the hobby in the first place.

No doubt a lot of people give up too, but perhaps it's because they expect instant results, or instant perfection without any practice, or just don't have a natural inclination for it. I'm not certain that I have the latter but I do have plenty of patience and a very low expectation so anything I make that comes out ok is a winner for me.
I think most hobbies have quite a high attrition rate. People don't know what they really like until they try it and really like it. I've watched just about every Sellers video on YouTube and did so in about 8 weeks, then loads more on the WWMC site and lots of other peoples on YouTube.

Right now I want to do this, and I reckon its probably going to stick as I already have plans for things to do and generally falls right in my wheelhouse given my other skillsets. Over the years I've tried anything that seemed interesting to me at the time and many have fallen by the wayside for one reason or another.

Sellers gets some flak online from some people who seem a bit further established in woodworking for one reason or another and I'm not quite sure why. His aim, he claims, is to try and share what he learned as a boy and has learned ever since. Many things that a lot of people wouldn't think of doing because surely it's too difficult. Then he shows you in 25 minutes just how not difficult it really can be. He gives advice on restoring old cheap (well, they used to be) tools and doesn't claim or pretend that you need a £150 plane and a whole sleuth of expensive power tools to get a job done. He even gives you cheapo ways of making your own tools if you really can't get a router or whatever. What a git.

Needless to say I'm glad of his work. His videos are clear, well produced, full of detail and ultimately useful. I can hear him properly, I can see what he is doing without squinting, the video isn't recorded on a potato and more importantly I'M LEARNING.

Not to say that his way is THE way, or that he doesn't (in his blog) ramble on at times to make you wonder just what it was he smoked at lunchtime.

Watching him do it has made me feel I can do it too, and apart from the £1.20 I spent for 1 month of access to WWMC, I've given him no money at all. No ad referral money for tools, no other subscriptions or fees, no patreon this or go fund me that.

lovely work Nick - I am sure it will encourage others to have a go also.

Even though a bench seems like quite an intimidating project, I think threads like this help show that a good (simple) design like the one you are using is within the reach of anyone with a few basic tools and a bit of patience.

Having said that, you are setting a high bar in terms of the quality of your work! The good news for others following along that it is still possible to get a useable bench even if they don't quite achieve the very high standards you are reaching and it is this that makes a bench a good starter project, I think.

Paul Sellers was the first person I ever saw make something with hand-tools too - top fella!

DBT85":21x70ada said:
Not to say that his way is THE way, or that he doesn't (in his blog) ramble on at times to make you wonder just what it was he smoked at lunchtime.

:lol: :lol:

nabs":21x70ada said:
Even though a bench seems like quite an intimidating project, I think threads like this help show that a good (simple) design like the one you are using is within the reach of anyone with a few basic tools and a bit of patience.

Couldn't agree more - I started this project as my first ever foray into woodworking 'properly' and, well, I'm more than pleased with how it's gone. Particularly challenging is the fact that you have to build a bench without a bench to use.

Last night I finished off the wellboard rebate. While Andy's suggestion to fix the resetting iron depth using rosin was a good one, it still didn't really solve the issue - and it appears that it's caused because it was actually a WS (not Woden) 78 which has a brass(?) lever cap that bends when the screw is tightened.

4FhyrlA.jpg

So I dug out my backup plan, a Stanley 78, and that worked brilliantly. Got nice even shavings all the way along every time, and only very minor resetting after maybe every ten strokes or so, a huge improvement.

EYh9eFE.jpg

Then today I worked on the vice cutout in the apron using a jigsaw - to fit a Record 53A, so it's a biggie. I made the cutout considerably larger than really needed to make fitting much easier, and was able to trial fit it on my own with the bench right way up.

xnbTLk8.jpg

Neatest vice hole ever? Lol.

And using a machine! lol
ro69Jxj.gif

More excellent work! I can only hope my bench comes out half this neat.

Did you restore the 53A yourself or did arrive already complete?

DBT85":247soes0 said:
Sellers gets some flak online from some people who seem a bit further established in woodworking for one reason or another and I'm not quite sure why.
Anyone who has time to teach cannot possibly be a full-time professional woodworker with fifty years experience of non-stop slaving away at the bench, so is not qualified to teach you a damn thing.... or summat like that.
I dunno.
Depends what you mean by established.

DBT85":247soes0 said:
Not to say that his way is THE way
Now that he does get flak over.... Sellers himself has explained that he generally teaches just one way of doing things so his teaching is consistent, whereas he himself uses many different techniques and approaches (including using mortise chisels) and you do sometimes see this in videos where that technique is not the primary focus.

Tasky":1qgqyofg said:
Now that he does get flak over.... Sellers himself has explained that he generally teaches just one way of doing things so his teaching is consistent, whereas he himself uses many different techniques and approaches (including using mortise chisels) and you do sometimes see this in videos where that technique is not the primary focus.

Indeed. I think the thing to bear in mind is that if you really know what you are doing then Sellers isn't really aiming his content at you. Invariably there at many ways of doing things. He generally demonstrates either a) what works for him, b) what's cheap or c) what he's found helps people the most from his classes.

I don't think I've ever heard him say that his way is the only way or even probably the best way.

With sharpening being just one example, he's shown how to do chisels and planes on sandpaper or wet/dry, explained why long term it's not economical and then showed what he does now. 3 diamond plates and his strop with cheap green silverline compound! There are a hundred different ways of doing it, but I've little doubt many just do what he does. If it works for him why challenge it until I'm ready?

DBT85":2us9ygft said:
I don't think I've ever heard him say that his way is the only way or even probably the best way.
As you say, just the opposite.
He does sometimes show different ways, but always specifies that "this is just how I do it, you may wish to do this or try that..."

As is, he's got two different workbench builds going on and many people on the WWMC gallery have clearly adapted 'his' designs to make things the way they want, which is what Sellers was probably aiming at.

Tasky":9ez5ywkz said:
DBT85":9ez5ywkz said:
As you say, just the opposite.
He does sometimes show different ways, but always specifies that "this is just how I do it, you may wish to do this or try that..."

As is, he's got two different workbench builds going on and many people on the WWMC gallery have clearly adapted 'his' designs to make things the way they want, which is what Sellers was probably aiming at.

Absolutely. Teach a man to fish etc etc.

Both Nick and I have made some minor adjustments to our benches.

Now if I can ever get around to even starting it, that'll be a different matter. Was going to try and advance today but instead ended up helping do 90 minutes firewood sawing with what much be a 24" tractor powered table saw. And then a nice hours deforestation in our hedge line. Ache all over. Lol.

Yay for farm life!

DBT85":2x9lxnlm said:
And using a machine! lol
ro69Jxj.gif

Did you restore the 53A yourself or did arrive already complete?

Hah, yes I don't often use power tools but when I do... it's because any other way would just be either a) much longer or b) much messier.

The 53A is as I bought it from Ebay a year ago or so, a nice example and wasn't expensive either.

Been getting on with vice jaws and planing the bench top today, photos to follow soon - but am off to work now!

Got to get it done asap as once Spring hits I will have very little time to do anything in the workshop, my tractor needs some work and then there's lots of topping, spraying, weeding and maintenance to do outside.

Lol Tasky :lol:

Well almost completed the bench, just need to apply a finish to the legs and rails - anyone any suggestions on what might work/look best for this? I've put one coat of Ronseal Antique Oil on the benchtop and aprons, another coat or two to go - this doesn't darken it much but protects and seals it quite well.

Forgot to show the completed wellboard end in my previous post:

Iw5pHFa.jpg

Vice installed and ready for action:

PmEZSdx.jpg

General view of vice side and far side of bench as it stands now:

e8eXzme.jpg

0PEL9SB.jpg

Wow. Great job Nick! Looking fantastic.

Did you surprise yourself by how well it all fit together and stuff? Really does look like you did a great job all over.

I'm thinking of just going with BLO on mine but I've got none right now so I'm flexible. It's what David Wright from Wood by Wright on YouTube seems happy with, though his was a mostly white oak bench.

I think we have to wait a week to see what Sellers will use!

I'm currently trying to decide whether to fit both the 52 1/2s I have, or just fit the better one, restore the other and then swap and repeat. First world problems eh?

DBT85":2qzprwqx said:
Did you surprise yourself by how well it all fit together and stuff? Really does look like you did a great job all over.

I'm thinking of just going with BLO on mine but I've got none right now so I'm flexible. It's what David Wright from Wood by Wright on YouTube seems happy with, though his was a mostly white oak bench.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to fit both the 52 1/2s I have, or just fit the better one, restore the other and then swap and repeat. First world problems eh?

Yes, I did surprise myself, a LOT, actually, I thought it was going to be a complete nightmare disaster zone like my previous attempts at bodging have been, and somehow for the first time this all went together really well, even the trickiest bit, the sliding wellboard. I believe Mr Sellers uses an outdoor furniture oil of some sort but some of his benches have really darkened so perhaps he stains too - well, I don't mind mine staying light coloured, it's there to do a job ultimately.

I don't know that I'd want to fit two 52 1/2 vices to the bench, increases the footprint substantially if one on each side, and would get in the way if one each end of the same side, and the design doesn't end itself to that as a tail vice. I'd stick your working one on and leave it at that, restore the other and keep it for your next bench :D

phil.p":2qzprwqx said:
Yet another post disappeared - it's getting tedious. You'll be lucky if those tongues don't crack off. :D

I'm hoping that the fact Mr Sellers uses ten of these benches in his classroom (and one as his own) where they get roundly abused quite frequently, plus the fact that the tongue is 66 inches long (I say :shock: ) will mean it should work ok. Although if I put my Record 8 plane on the wellboard it'll probably test that theory well... :lol:

Tasky":2qbspu8o said:
DBT85":2qbspu8o said:
David Wright from Wood by Wright
James Wright. :wink:

DBT85":2qbspu8o said:
£100 in Monopoly Money says it's Shellac.... :lol:

Ah balls, so it is. You'd think I'd remember after watching about 4 hours in the last 2 days huh? Hey yall! Lol

That's a long time with his 1" hake!

NickN":10h3mwsv said:
Hmm, I've got a tin of Button Polish lurking somewhere, I might give that a go on the lower parts of the bench, what's the worst that could happen...?
You've admitted to polishing buttons, I think we're already there :p

Back