Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By El Barto
Looking good. I built my "Sellers bench" earlier this year as a beginner too, it was a great learning experience. It did feel a bit overwhelming at times but once it's done it's a damn good feeling.

I started out with CLS and QUICKLY realised that planing all the round edges down to flat and square was going to suck. So started again with PAR. First lesson learned...
By NickN
Update will be coming in a few days - my work shifts have interfered recently #-o I make a point of NOT woodworking after a tiring shift, tiredness can too easily lead to mistakes or accidents.

Still, it's work wot pays for the hobby so, can't grumble too much :D
By NickN
Managed a slightly earlier finish today so made a start on the aprons - four lengths of 145x45mm PAR/PSE needed to come down to 40mm depth so, having practiced my hand planing abilities on the bench top, thought this would be an ideal opportunity to try out the easier option, a planer thicknesser. Went very well, nice smooth and square finish, just a once over with a smoothing plane should finish the surface nicely.

Next job: laminating two and two of these apron boards to get two finished width boards of c. 290mm - then the legs and rails and the job I'm half dreading and half looking forward to, mortise and tenoning them (which will be my first ever proper attempt at this joint :shock: )
By NickN
Quick progress report:

Planing, squaring and laminating the two boards for each apron.

The two c. 2 metre lengths of timber for the bench legs before starting work on them.

More planing and squaring up after cutting the legs to their final length of 875mm / 34 3/8 inches.

Next - mortising the legs by hand - debating whether to use the drill press to make the initial holes, or to do it completely by hand with a chisel.

I'm not rushing partly because of work but also the Workbench series of videos is only one every two weeks and Episode 4 of 9 is this coming Friday.
By El Barto
Nice! The mortises aren’t so bad, you get into the rhythm of it quite quickly and you soon see improvements to your technique etc. I actually found cutting the tenons to be trickier as they’re so damn big.
By MikeG.
NickN wrote:........the Workbench series of videos is only one every two weeks and Episode 4 of 9 is this coming Friday.

Huh? How come I was able to flick through the whole lot to 8 of 9 last week, to see what people were talking about? I only didn't see the 9th because it was dinner time.
By NickN
El Barto wrote:Nice! The mortises aren’t so bad, you get into the rhythm of it quite quickly and you soon see improvements to your technique etc. I actually found cutting the tenons to be trickier as they’re so damn big.

Encouraging to hear that - I'll probably make a start tomorrow!

MikeG. wrote:
NickN wrote:........the Workbench series of videos is only one every two weeks and Episode 4 of 9 is this coming Friday.

Huh? How come I was able to flick through the whole lot to 8 of 9 last week, to see what people were talking about? I only didn't see the 9th because it was dinner time.

I think what you're referring to is the Mk1 or original series of nine episodes titled 'how to build a workbench'. The new series is titled 'how to make a workbench' and is a revised design, on Youtube there's only two episodes so far, Woodworking Masterclass site has three episodes published.
By Tasky
NickN wrote:the new version is rounded 2 x 3 - quite why I don't know but can guess that it might be a combination of keeping weight reasonable, costs lower and possibly also with the new way of tongue and grooving the well board into the bench top the old version had too much depth.

Round-edged 3x2 is more commonly available to 'the average hobby woodworker' somewhere like B&Q, Homebase, etc. Paul even had a quick c amera-phone video up of him going into Homebase(?) and showing off some deals on wood they were stocking at the time, which would be ideal for his workbenches.
However, this wood he has here was actually picked up from the Oxford Wood Recycling centre, which is why some boards have scrapes and holes through them. Half of it was off the racks/shelves and half of it he picked up in a clearance batch of 50 lengths for £1 each... lucky lad. I went up there and they seemed very short on stock.

But yeah, Paul is basically opting for videos that better represent the average hobby woodworker, their available resources and their typical working space... based on surveys of his subscriber base.

This is why he ditched the professional Master Woodworker appearance with all those tool cabinets and a choice of 50 planes, and now has a pseudo-garage space with a fake brick backdrop, and everything is geared around smaller workshops and minimal tools. He has a couple of blogs about it.
Makes some sense, I suppose.

MikeG. wrote:Huh? How come I was able to flick through the whole lot to 8 of 9 last week, to see what people were talking about? I only didn't see the 9th because it was dinner time.

If it's being done in his back garden, that's Bench mkI.
If it has a brick background, that's Bench mkII.
By NickN
So, I thought it would be as well to get the rail boards sized and planed to final dimensions before cutting the mortises, in case of any unforeseen problems.

I've also disovered that this would be a good point for a modification to the design, but I'd welcome opinion too. The original design calls for 18mm thick tenons (on a 40m thick rail) into legs that are 95mm wide.

Seems (and looks) to me that the tenon is a bit thin into that size of leg, so my proposed change is to make the tenon 24mm thick (on a 42mm thick rail) into legs that, in my case are 92mm wide.

Or in other words, the tenons will be slightly over half of the rail thickness and about quarter of the leg thickness, seems like about the best compromise, and matches my chisel size.

Cutting the rails to length.

By phil.p
If you are to make the tenon half the thickness of the rail you could save some work by making it with single shoulder.You just need to take a little more care when cramping up.