The Dog House.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year I finally got around to building a 4 metre x 2.3 metre Shed/Workshop after settling for a small outhouse for the last twenty years.
Never built anything before but quite happy with the results :D .

Used adjustable decking risers on hexagonal stones for the base.
34657570216_ae14ea274c_o.jpg

Dry fit before the floor went in.
34313450970_9502a674a0_o.jpg

18mm Osb floor down.
34657569646_9cf3f69ec4_o.jpg

Walls and roof trusses in place.
34657569426_5c2e53c4aa_o.jpg

34313449180_67f01f63c5_o.jpg

33855618904_2677ac1dc7_o.jpg

Roof on Windows in and a few coats of paint and finished.
34657569186_813e9a0aef_o.jpg

Got the sign from a pub landlord in pembroke so I called the Shed "The Dog House" :D .
33855618744_653cbea2a0_o.jpg

As this thread is called "Projects, Workshop Tours and past mistakes"
This was my Project, not quite a Workshop tour, but my past mistake is, I wish I had put on breathable membrane and battens before the Cladding went on then it would have been easier to insulate if I ever get around to it :( :( .

This is what looked like last week and why I'm thinking of insulation :deer :deer .
39929247354_8607924055_o.jpg

Thanks.
No sign of any settlement yet, if it starts to settle and not support properly I should be able to readjust the risers to support it again.

That's a very smart looking shed!!! You must be well chuffed. I like the contrasting colours on the window surround and corners- nice touch.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice little shed. You've already pointed out the lack of air-gap behind the cladding. I'd point out the accessible void you've left underneath, which will make a lovely warm and dry home for vermin, and the proximity of the bottom edge of the structure to the ground, meaning that water will splash up soaking the exposed structural timber every time it rains.

MikeG.":2qlbdd9c said:
I'd point out the accessible void you've left underneath, which will make a lovely warm and dry home for vermin, and the proximity of the bottom edge of the structure to the ground, meaning that water will splash up soaking the exposed structural timber every time it rains.
I agree, as soon as the OSB floor went on a little Vole ran under, even though I was still building it. We didn't mind the Vole but we've started to see a Rat now and again, which we've seen a few over the years from neighbours sheds and decking, so now I'm trying a few homemade humane rat traps.
As for the splash back, I already had a plan for this years project. A couple of lengths of guttering leading to a rain water barrel behind the shed and digging a small trench around the base filled with gravel as a soak away :) .

Nice looking workshop Shaggy, looks as if you're well aware of insulation and other issues though I would definitely have put in a breather membrane but as we don't get any bad weather up here in the north east :wink: , you'll be fine.

As a retired builder my real concern would be that maybe your flagstone supports aren't beefy enough maybe unless you've concreted them over hardcore. That's just me though.

Enjoy all that lovely space.
Bob

never seen those adjustable feet before. have you checked out the weight load per foot? Once you start moving machinery in you'll be surprised how much that shed weighs.

sunnybob":ee4ou16l said:
never seen those adjustable feet before. have you checked out the weight load per foot? Once you start moving machinery in you'll be surprised how much that shed weighs.
Yes, each foot is rated at over a tonne and I have fifteen under the base. Hopefully they will be strong enough to take the weight :) .

great build, i love the use of the decking feet, that might help me when i next get round to putting a bigger spray booth/shed at the back of my workshop

Latest posts

Back