The Devil made me do it - video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobham

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, wait, no, that was Wizer... :D

It wasn't the one I intended to do next, but Wizer wanted the No Chuck Bowl companion video, so it is uploading now. Uploading is a bit of a slow process and you can only do 10 at a time. This effort ran to 13 segments for a total run time of about 1 hour and 40 minutes, even after chopping out quite a bit of the sanding, so if you plan to watch it you better get a comfortable chair.

The upload is working on segment 7 as I type this and has already been going for almost 3 hours. It won't let me add any more to the queue until these 10 finish. Since it is 2:00 a.m. here I am afraid I won't be able to upload the last three segments until I get up in the (late) morning.

I might be able to get one more done before my week off is over, but after that my output will be dropping drastically. I hope you have enjoyed watching them as much as I have enjoyed putting them together.

Take care
Bob

Video segment 1 is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPUwl1tpAao

The finished bowl:

100_9801-640.jpg

100_9805-640.jpg

100_9806-640.jpg

Thanks, Bob - the other ones are great and very useful. Looking forward to watching this one.

Me and my big mouth! A thousand thank yous Bob. Not watched it yet but extremely grateful that you did this video.

Will update once I've viewed.

Work? Not today! :lol:

Bob just watched the final one. Thanks again for doing that, really helped.

I know it takes time but I think you will benefit from an editing suite. It's also a shame that it's not a proper video cam. Some of the detail and sound quality has been lost.

I hope you will go on to do more when you have time.

I really like that bowl - beautiful grain which is emphasised by the simple and well balanced shape. Don't see how it could be improved. Also well photographed, which helps, no annoying background clutter. Is that colour acccurate? looks like ash, but more like osage orange in colour.
Nice work.

Great video Bob with a nice end product :D
I like the videos the way they are makes me feel i'm in the shop with you,though i am getting despearat now :lol:
Would it help in some scenes if you swivelled the head round slightly:?:
Good to see the extraction on taking most the dust away,and you wearing the Resp :D

Thanks, all.

Pete: the bowl is turned from mulberry, which is very strongly yellow when first cut and ages to a deep reddish brown that is still attractive. This is a mulberry bowl that I turned several years ago:

mulbowl1.jpg

Take care
Bob

Just seen the bit with the two stem depth gauge, brilliant idea.

Bob, another excellent demo. and a beautyful result. I am not an expert on making videos or pictures for that matter, but having watched both your youtube offerings I found it diffcult to see the piece clearly. You seemed worried about camera position that you might block the view at times in IMO the camera was just great. What I found was the lighting which seemed too strong and created a glazing or reflecting affect. At times for some reason your movement blocked off some of the light and everything looked perfect.
Or maybe it just my old eyes that are at fault, whatever I have spent 3hrs viewing and will spend more . Sorry to hear you wont be posting for a while but you have left me ,and probley lots more with some mouthwatering viewing for that I thank you . REgards Eugene (Boysie)

I have to agree and thank you for doing these. I love the casual approach.....warts and all sort of thing. Only problem for me is down to having to start a new one all the time and there's not much you can do about that unless you start getting into all the pfaffing about with editing software and as you are doing us all a favour making these I wouldn't expect it of you.

Pete

Eugene, it is not your eyes. It might be mine, though. :) I found in this one that the lighting was relatively good until I turned on my task lights which seemed to overwhelm the camera. Unfortunately I don't find that kind of thing out until I am reviewing the video on my computer in the house when it is too late to do anything about it.

Pete, YouTube videos are limited to 10 minutes each. I have to cut it up or the software won't allow me to upload it. There are ways to download and save YouTube videos to your hard drive where you can join the segments together. Someone on another forum suggested this: http://atube-catcher.uptodown.com/en/ I have not tried it myself but another fellow said it allowed him to download the videos that he was unable to watch online because his connection was too slow and save them on his hard drive to view later.

Take care
Bob

If you are running Firefox as your browser, you can download an extension 'Downloadhelper' which becomes a integral part of Firefox. This is what I use all the time to download all these .flv videos. Haven't bothered splicing them together as yet but may look at getting a freeware graphic suite which does that.

bobham":1con2x0g said:
Pete, YouTube videos are limited to 10 minutes each. I have to cut it up or the software won't allow me to upload it. There are ways to download and save YouTube videos to your hard drive where you can join the segments together. Someone on another forum suggested this: http://atube-catcher.uptodown.com/en/ I have not tried it myself but another fellow said it allowed him to download the videos that he was unable to watch online because his connection was too slow and save them on his hard drive to view later.

Bob

Thankyou very much for your videos which are excellent and thanks for answering a question I was afraid to ask about downloading from youtube. Have tried the link provided and works very simply.

Thanks again

Fred

Fred, if you like I can bring you the full sized version on a disc. I'll be popping in to your next demo day.

Back