TENS anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a tens machine for the first time, on advice from my physio to relieve chronic neck and shoulder pain.

Anybody use one? Have experience of one?
Looking for a four pad machine (again, advice from physio).
Around a £100 or less would be good

I have a back issue Bob, doesn't bother me all the time but painful when it does and I bought a basic TENS a number of years ago which is used occasionally.
It's a 2 pad system with several different modes and the sensation takes a little getting used to, can almost hurt if turned up high but it works for me. I was told by my consultant that it doesn't work for everyone so it's suck it and see.
Mine cost about £50 if I remember.

PS: It's an IntelliSTIM BE-28T

I use one regularly when my back goes into spasm. It is the only thing that works. I can't imagine why you would need 4 pads, though, if 2 pads will do the whole of the lower half of my back. The only advice I would give is that you don't need it on as long as you think. The effect carries on for quite some time after you switch the machine off. The biggest hassle with them is the wires to the pads, which snag on clothing and pull out......another reason why 4 pads would be more trouble than it's worth (IMV).

How long do you keep yours on Mike?
I find a couple of 20 minute sessions with a break in between works for me but I just lie back in my recliner and relax while it does its' stuff. Most of the time I get away with Volorol gel or a couple of Ibuprofen tablets.

I had a laminectomy about 30 years ago and soon know when I've overdone things a bit. :wink: It's nothing however when I look around at all the unfortunates with more serious issues than a little pain.

I've had three very serious bouts of problems this year, each requiring some heavy duty manipulation to get me walking again.
The physio treats me with 15 minutes of UV heat lamp, followed by 15 minutes of TENS, when she uses the four pads to get both shoulders twitching strongly at the same time, then 20 minutes of cast iron thumbs (how can small womens hands be so damn HARD?!)
A couple of those visits and I'm ambulatory again. But now, after the third episode in 6 months, I need to take some preventative action.
My orthopedic surgeon says I have oligoarthritis, (few joint arthritis) and the only way to cope is to work through the pain untill the joints move again.

Thanks for the link, I shall investigate.

MikeG.":3pjdd2hc said:
Mine is on for hours at a time when I initially go into spasm.
Your problem is worse than mine Mike, you have my sympathy, back spasm is excruciating. :(

I bought a 2 pads system from Fleabay for restless leg syndrome, works a treat. small and discreet enough to wear anytime under clothing if required and very powerful. Many chemists do their own brands now which make getting spare pads etc a breeze.

I'm getting desperate lol
24da4f448ac45abb32855e36ee01d9cd.jpg

Following this thread with interest ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In addition to TENS this came across my screen this morning - the power of music - https://www.musicshelter.info/
Chronic pain is mentioned amongst others. Music effects the brain - TENS blocks the pain signal to the brain.
It uses Spotify - free for upto 10 hrs a month - seems to be saying the best music for you is the music when you were between 15 -25 years old.

Maybe worth a try for chronic pain.

Brian

Another TENS user here, mine was from boots about £50 2 pads. I tend to run it for 1/2hr sessions whenever needed.

I bought a 4 electrode TENS from Tenscare Ltd after a severe sciatica attack (bad enough that I was on crutches for some weeks after), it worked really well. I put the pads on in the morning connected it up and was able to use it at work during the day at my desk, as it had a belt clip iI could even move around if I wanted.

I tried one on NHS loan years ago when I first started getting arthritis in my neck and spine. It didn't really work, although by careful positioning I could make it raise my arm electrically by altering the current, which was really weird. I was advised to get one, but with my sort of arthritis it wouldn't have helped really (it progressed a lot after the TENS experiment).

They may have improved, as this was probably around 1990. The only thing that works for me now (for pain relief) is prescription drugs. But the nature of the problem is crucial - it didn't help me, but it might help you.

If you have a phisio that you trust and they recommend it, AND you have tried it yourself and it works, then go for it.

E.

Do the pads come with extra double sided tape ? I noticed they also sell back supports with the pads built in....

i got 1 years ago when MO told me to get one after breaking my left foot, tibia and hip bone after a bad landing during a 4 abn bde exercise and to use it to keep my muscles in shape. Was good for that and we later found it was the bees knees with the pads at your wrist and neck with someone else controling it while having a pint and a new driking game was born in our unit :)

I just nearly wet myself ! Went to boots and picked up the belt. Turned it on at intensity 5 and it was like a gentle tapping (it has 20). Tipping the kettle into the saucepan on the hob and crikey o Riley it changed programmes. I wondered wtf was happening for a few seconds! I'm not sure whether this will reach the pain in my shoulders,perhaps cranking it up more might help. Looking forward to trying it in the shop tomorrow, it's a pleasant distraction .

Have used a boots brand tens machine in the past, it worked for me and the replacement pads( regard as a consumable) are easy to purchase at boots, roy wathen

Is a good self physio regime not better (for lower back)?

A true ray of sunshine shone into my life when I read this thread #-o #-o

I did something to my shoulder earlier in the week and it was quite painful, like enough to stop sleep or do anything difficult like turning my head! I have a Tens machine, but it had been packed ready for our house move. I had told SWMBO that it wouldn't be needed :? :? Silly me. It was in the very last box packed, so out it came. Of course the rechargeable batteries were flat! So into another box to find new a PP3.

Then the pads had got too dry and wouldn't stick. It don't arf sting when they come loose too! So I broke into the new pads I have and got the thing fitted. One channel vertical and the other horizontal, and after about 20 minutes I stopped it and my shoulder is now almost back to how it should be... You can probably guess that the machine hasn't been needed for a while and I had forgotten all about how good it is.

so, a HUGE thank you to the OP for posting this thread =D> =D> =D> =D>

Noel":2fdf0ksj said:
Is a good self physio regime not better (for lower back)?
I think that's essential Noel but back issues don't go away completely and can surface suddenly despite regular excercise. I know in my case I forget and it just takes a twist or careless movement to set it off.
occasionally I wake up with an aching back so must have twisted in my sleep, if I'd been up to anything else in bed hopefully I'd remember. :wink: #-o

Back