Teak veneer table - recommendations for fixing lots of marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackney136

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance how to improve the surface of this teak veneer table - has multiple different kinds of marks on it - ringmarks (but dark rather than light like water damage often is), dark stains etc its been through the wringer a bit - as you can see on the pic

Have read about sanding and rubbing with oil but keen to get some recommendations before I do anything that could make it worse!

Any help appreciated thanks

Attachments

• table damage.jpg
    table damage.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 93
Good opportunity to experiment and post a WIP of your findings!

I'm not being flippant, that table's pretty far gone so the most likely solution is chemical stripping and refinishing, which means you've nothing to lose by playing around with the methods you've read on the internet and sharing some photos.

Incidentally, the only person here that I'd listen to is Mr Snodgrass, he does this for a living where as everyone else will base their advice on a few efforts years ago, or they'll just rehash stuff from the same internet articles that you've already read.

Thanks custard and dzj

Tried speaking to a local bloke who does this and he quoted £1,100 to fix it, which is well beyond my budget. He also seemed to think it was french polished though so not sure i'm missing much

thinking I might try a light sanding first and see how I go.

I don't disagree with Custard's good advice, but here are two threads which might be helpful. They both show what results I got when using a restorer's reviver mixture.
I can't guarantee it would do the same for your table but it's an easy option which worked for me. I'm assuming you want it to look used but not abused, rather than showroom fresh.

This was on some mahogany

revival-success-t101538.html

and this on (probably) chestnut

refinishing-water-damage-t104015.html

Back