Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":13clclfg said:
Lightweeder":13clclfg said:
I agree on the beads Chas. What did you use ?
Being lazy I used the Ashley Isles beading tool LW, at least I only have to worry about tear-out & not wreaking the whole thing with an uncontrolled slip.

________

I see they have dropped in price a few pounds since I bought the steels Original Thread (Last seen £18 ea. with handle at Yandles)

Went on holiday soon after posting this, and took a stack of unread issues of 'Woodturner'. Shopping list is enormous, but I'll add one of these. Thanks Chas.

________A small dip into a considerable stash of Walnut offcuts

________Sometimes telephone cold calls can prove to be a pleasant surprise.

________" Hello, my name is ******, is it right that you do wood turning?"

________cautious 'that's correct.'

________"are Walnut offcuts any use to you for turning?"

________'Certainly.'

________Generous local donor could not bring themselves to burn them when they turned up in the firewood.

________Several large sacks and boxes later, collected with alacrity and a few days drooling and cogitating a start has been made.

________
________Walnut and Cherry 78x135mm

________A Bits and Pieces Box.

________
________

________________Walnut & Beech________________120mm dia.

I.m not the world's biggest fan of segmented work usually but this piece really appeals. As Johnny said has a Tudor look about it.

Pete

Thanks for the comments folks, I have an aversion to maxed out segmenting as well Pete, although admiring the skill and accuracy needed to do them.
I must admit to some satisfaction in achieving tight glue joints and aim to use it to achieve decoration without the 'see what I can do' look if possible, which I must admit I doubt I have the patience or skill to tackle anyway.

________For someone old enough to have arthritic hands that won't flex, still young enough at heart to desire to be in fashion.
________
________
________Walnut & Beech (90mm bore)

Chas,

I haven't had time recently to post comments on your individual items but when I saw these two tone items I just simply had to make time. They're stunning.

Steve :)

Steve Jones":2fsilna2 said:
Chas,

I haven't had time recently to post comments on your individual items but when I saw these two tone items I just simply had to make time. They're stunning.

Steve :)

My sentiments too :wink:

completely agree with the last 2 fellas

It must be very satisfying to look back at the end of the year & see all the lovely things you`ve made.

cheers.

Doug

:oops: :oops:

Thanks for the comments all, the segment stuff is rather basic as these things go, this and the laminating is me just trying to use up some offcuts and smaller pieces without producing yet more little bowls. I prefer to segment the bangles to avoid the engrain weak points if you turn them thin.

________A Barrel of Laughs this one, home dried Ash, shall we say rather hard and some spalted beech more the consistency of a field mushroom.

________
________
________Ash & Beech__140mm dia(base) x 120mm H.

smDSCN1689.jpg

Still catching up with things... and just caught this... Chas thats a great looking piece, I really like that. :D
reminds me of an old fashioned merry-go-round, just without the horses !
I can see the 'tudor' bit too ..
its a very very nice piece ... really do like that ! 8) 8) 8) 8)

________A few more bits rounded up,
________Beech segments presented End Grain to try and get a bit more figuring.

________Not something I shall do lightly in future, makes finish cutting, especially the inside a little difficult.

________
________

________________Walnut & Beech________________135mm dia.

Back