Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Jones":38j74rxx said:
Chas,
Don't know which camera you use but would a polarizing filter help to reduce the reflections or applying it in some form in photo editing software ?
Steve :)
Not had much luck with them so far, I have several from my 35mm days and a 'digital' variety from my camcorder but so far had little joy. Lights are diffused with a couple of layers of flood masking fabric but It's still too directional in the tent. I think I'm going to have to experiment with just using them to flood the small room I shoot in and lower the shutter speed if I want to keep the depth of field.

Hi Chas,

Have been having a look through this thread.
You do seem to have the finishing off to a fine art :lol:

Something else for me to aspire to!!

Malc :lol:

PS Sorry, can't help you with the photography :oops:

There's got to be an easier way than that though Chas. He has a dedicated photo studio and all the gear to go with it. A couple of spots and a tent would surely suffice. Not that I am any example :oops: . I just snap mine off on the dining table or outside on a fence post. Latter seems to work best.

pete

Bodrighy":24vxs34d said:
There's got to be an easier way than that though Chas. He has a dedicated photo studio and all the gear to go with it. A couple of spots and a tent would surely suffice.

Pete I have a good quality tent and a couple of high wattage equiv.. low energy daylight floods. (still treat most items as plonk it shoot it and go) but from time to time do spend a few minutes playing to try and find the "Golden Fix" that will allow a "Set it and Forget it" setup.

Do need a graduated background but can't justify the £50-60 at the moment though.

As is mentioned if anything the Tent or any diffusion fabrics make matters worse with glossy items as they spread the light reflection area, the very fact that you are defusing the light makes the use of polarizing filters a non starter.

Last of the bunch for 2010 I think, Sycamore 240mm dia.
DSCN2245.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2245.JPG
    DSCN2245.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 555
That is very nice, Chas :wink:

Super piece of wood, very pleasing shape which allows the markings of the wood to show through, and your usual excellent finish.

Malc :D

Well Chas this might be your last piece for the year and what another good year it has been seeing all your turnings and with plenty of good advice for the rest of us along the way :D
So i for one will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with next year.
This is another lovely looking piece of timber you have produced and turned well and managed to hide the reflections of the lights on this piece a bit better :D

johnny.t.":4e7th62y said:
Lovely warm colour there Chas 8) Was that Sycamore solid with that much spalting or did it need a bit of gentle tool control?

JT
The whole slab, courtesy of Rich Burrow some time ago was figured/coloured/burred throughout, this piece had an area of bark occlusion/and junk running through part of it which needed CA fixing.

Back