Taking up smoking...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
No, not fags!

This summer I bought some smoked haddock in Scotland. It was fantastic and so much more flavoursome that what I buy in my local supermarket.

So, after making Cullen Skink again, last week and again lamenting the blandness of the haddock, I decided to have a go myself. I bought one of these.

I've just done the first one this afternoon. It looked great, but was dry, very very salty and stuck to the rack. I've had to scrape it off :(

But there is a second batch going, the last piece of haddock and two mackerel fillets. This time I've oiled the rack and the fish skin and I'll do it for a lot less time. It will still be salty though, as they were all brined together.

I'll watch your results with interest Pete as I thought about one of these a while ago. Mine would be to smoke trout though.

The second batch is much better. A bit of scraping involved, but not so much.
IMG_20181103_160726329_HDR.jpg

The plate on the left is (what's left of) the first batch (all haddock). A couple of hours in the smoker. The plate on the right is the second batch, the last bit of haddock and the two mackerel fillets. About 40 minutes. They have shrunk quite a bit. All salty but at least they are not dry.

IMG_20181103_161204388_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181103_160726329_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181103_160726329_HDR.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_20181103_161204388_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181103_161204388_HDR.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,411
:)
I am surprised by how little you actually need. The smoker comes with a small tub of oak and a small tub of hickory. Each about the size of a tin of shoe polish. A bit deeper, perhaps. But they also sell apple, pecan, mesquite, sweet chestnut, etc. I've got plenty of oak and I could probably find some maple, beech, cadge a bit of apple. Not sure about anything else, though.
I used just one teaspoon for each smoking session, so even the small samples that come with it should last a while.

Homebase had some chips a couple of weeks ago at £2.50 a bag, in their sale. May well have all gone now.

I got some hickory, beech and whisky cask oak. If you want some to try let me know. They worked well on my BBQ smoker on pork and beef.

I am going to try and get some Texas mesquite when I go over later in the month.

Steve, - looking forward to your reports of the quality of MDF smoked haddock!

What's the best way of dealing with the saltiness?

:)
Various techniques suggested brining the fish for several hours in a salt and sugar mixture. Mine was left overnight.
Others suggest rubbing the flesh with salt.
I did a bit of both, it was too much.

I used to work in a fishmongers on a Saturday when I was 15.
10 hours for 15 notes! The Miserly Beggar. I would occasional supplant the £1.50 an hour (this was 1990 odd not 1970) by slipping the odd smoked salmon down my kecks (between you and me) and I used to visit various pubs on my way home and just about come out on top. I can still gut and clean a fish at a fair rate. The Eels were the b*ggers. Paper bag for grip but they'd still be after getting away and down the high street with women screaming all over the place and me chasing after them in ma wellies and I always felt a little sorry for them because you had to keep them live and inevitably I'd end up cutting their heads off live like some sort of monster. To this day I will eat razor clams etc etc etc like Hannibal Lecter. I won't eat eel. Can't bring myself to it. Soft touch.
However, smoked Eel is delicious by all accounts.
Was just a Saturday job as said but a proper old school fishmonger. Had a herring shack out the back. No salt was ever involved. Oak chips for simpler times. Mesquite was summat you avoided on holiday. ;)
Of all the (fewish) smoked foods I've tried, thinly sliced Duck breast was the plain winner. Food of the Gods. :D
I saw some various smoking chips (oak eg) at a local garden centre lately... I remember thinking why bother making stuff when you can cut it up for those prices. £4-5 punda bag of shavings.

Take care, regards,
Chris

I've had another go tonight. Oak sawdust again, but only for about 20 minutes on the hob, then another ten still closed up but not on the heat.

Edit - I didn't salt it at all.

IMG_20181130_174749892.jpg

I have to say that it was the best, most flavoursome, moistest smoked haddock I have ever tasted. I used it in a leek and smoked haddock risotto and it was all I could do to resist eating it flake by flake whilst I made the base of the dish.

I'm off my food at the moment (shock horror ghastly) and have very little desire for anything I usually take great pleasure in (I could quite happily stop eating AND drinking :( ), but even so, I really enjoyed this.

If anyone is tempted, I would definitely say Give It a Whirl.

Attachments

• IMG_20181130_174749892.jpg
    IMG_20181130_174749892.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 521
I got some Texas mesquite the other day when I was over there. It is chunks rather than dust but if you want to try a bit.

I think it is recommended for beef over there.

Hmmm..... sounds like you're doing well. Shame I'm not into fish, really.

Let me know when you get bored of smoking and decide to try making biltong and droewors, though!!

Back