Tail stock chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have seen a chuck reversing adapter which will enable me to fit a 3 jaw metalworking chuck into the tailstock of my graduate. I might end up with a wood turning chuck to fit as well. What I was wondering is - would there be any purpose? I already have a Jacobs chuck for holding drill bits etc but I was looking for other uses. Are there any woodturners out there who can see an advantage in having this facility? Or should I not bother?

K

One example - Some people, when drilling pen blanks for example, prefer to hold the work still (using a tailstock chuck) and rotate the drill bit (in the headstock).

Besides that, I have no idea.

I use a chuck in the tailstock when fashioning segmented builds. I mount part prepared and flattened rings held in Cole jaws on a chuck in the tailstock to centre the assembly for glueup and also apply some clamping pressure. I use a Nova live centre that enables me to mount my chuck via its morse taper. On some open segment hollow forms I build them in two halves each on its own chuck then finally fit the two halves together. By this means the outside surface of the vessel can be turned to finished size by simply bringing the two halves together without glue, then the insides worked on if necessary before finally glueing up. I keep finding other useful functions of this set up. A major part of the Woodturning adventure is figuring out how the hell to hold the thing while you carve out the unwanted bits. Having a facility to hold a chuck in the tailstock just expands the possibilities. I’m sure mind you that there will be many Turners that can lead a full life without ever requiring that facility. :roll:

I'm just in the process of developing such a setup with the aim of making the centralizing of natural edge pieces for base clean up quicker and easier.

Just have to finish the equivalent of a modified Donut Chuck system to clamp the piece on the lathe spindle, (I don't have a vacuum chuck.)

Back