Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warbiespig

Reaction score
Lookin to buy a table saw around a £200 budget only for starter light work. Can anyone recomend any models please. Have seen erebaur for around 200 in screwfix.

Hello,

If your budget is this tight, I seriously wouldn't look at any tablesaw. If your work is 'light' as you say, decent handtools would be a better buy. You will be buying a set of problems that turn into projects of their own, some perhaps insurmountable without more money and effort spent. Like the fence, for a start, always hopelessly inaccurate and flimsy on saws if this type.

Mike.

With your budget I would be looking at a track saw, I have the £90.00 jobby from Rutlands, its no Festool, but it does the job, with a decent blade its even quite good.

Mike :ho2

I think we may need to go back a bit, what is it you want to do, rip cut sheet timber, cross cut bulk timber, or just trim up some already cut timber, once we know what it is you want to do we can give you a better idea of what is available, oh yes another thing to consider is what sort of room/area do you work in.

Mike :ho2 :deer

Thank you for replies so far. It is for my garage. My son has got into woodwork loves making pens and small bowls on his lathe. But want to get ito bandsaw boxes, (we got a record bs250 for good price) but also got ideas of lots of other mainly small projects like cutting boards and cutting pen blanks.

warbiespig":2aifsvb8 said:
Thank you for replies so far. It is for my garage. My son has got into woodwork loves making pens and small bowls on his lathe. But want to get ito bandsaw boxes, (we got a record bs250 for good price) but also got ideas of lots of other mainly small projects like cutting boards and cutting pen blanks.

Hello,

The bandsaw you have is ideal for these projects you list. Small scale work is better done on a bandsaw, safer for sure. What hand tools do you have? Making chopping boards might need boards edge jointing to make up wider stock. Do you have a hand plane and a bench to do the planing?

Mike.

We have small benches but gonna make better soon. Have got him a table router for xmas as a friend had one he did not use. Have looked at a disc sander as this may be more use for his projects if bandsaw will be okay.

Hi screwfix do the Scheppach HS105 its £235 maybe cheaper if you shop around. Looks similar to my old Ryobi I started with 20 years ago. the saw lasted many years before I upgraded do to motor failure (no shame it work really hard). Anyway it has a (full length)* locking fence front and rear (it will be solid) and an extending side section to allow for 600mm cutting. However, setting the fence is crucial as it will not lock automatically square to the blade (none of the budget saws do). In my experience it only takes a minute to square it. The mitre gauge will be rubbish but tweakable. zero clearance blade inserts will be easy to make. The riving knife is adjustable for height meaning you can use the saw for rebating or groove cutting (for the likes of a drawer base). Most other saws don't allow for riving knife adjustment like this and as such operators are likely to remove it, a dangerous move for a beginner as it often never gets re fitted.
Everybody will tell you these saws are s#!t, no good, full of frustration, a problem waiting, unsafe, inaccurate, flimsy.......they are correct on the latter but most are likely to have used in the past a much better industrial saw.
I found my saw valuable to me and of great use in making 'stuff' you and your son will too. Just remember it will take a bit longer to set up accurately.
* Full length fence is another debate

Back