Table Saw Guard (With Pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
I always found the standard crown guard quite limiting on the cuts it will allow you to make on my saw so while trolling through some web pages I came across this, so I attempted to make one...

It seems to have turned out ok but I haven't used it in anger as yet (only finished it today) I have used my own method of fixing bars as the one I saw (pardon the pun) had a bar that was fixed to the far end of the table on legs...

Any questions please ask!

DSCF0002-1.jpg

guard1.jpg

DSCF0004-1.jpg

blimey, as Punch used to say... "That's the way to do it" !

Very clever indeed

Perfect, perfect perfect,

But

Why don't you put a roller on the front of the guard, so when you something through the saw, the guard is automaticaly raised????

so the quard is always the correct hight, and you do not bump anything against the guard, which good put it out of alingment!!!

But an absolut A+ for engeneering :)

Mcluma":2zudo5pw said:
Perfect, perfect perfect,

But

Why don't you put a roller on the front of the guard, so when you something through the saw, the guard is automaticaly raised????

so the quard is always the correct hight, and you do not bump anything against the guard, which good put it out of alingment!!!

But an absolut A+ for engeneering :)

The guard is tight enough so when it's raised it will stay put at any height, the roller idea is good but the guard would be a bit heavy I think to easily raise!

This is the link I used to make one yourself
http://members.aol.com/Alamaral/Guard.html

Now it's done it works well, hopefully it will never need to do it's job and protect me, fingers crossed while I still have them...lol, but it made me remember how much I hate working in metal it's dirty, smelly, unforgiving and the grinding dust gets everywhere, give me my lovely wood anytime... :wink:

Very well designed and made. =D> I wonder if you've calculated your costs in materials? I've thought of making one, but wonder if cost might not approach Axminster's one. That said, yours looks more robust than Axminster's one.

Brad

wrightclan":2n95tpqg said:
Very well designed and made. =D> I wonder if you've calculated your costs in materials? I've thought of making one, but wonder if cost might not approach Axminster's one. That said, yours looks more robust than Axminster's one.

Brad

Hi
I guess the metal cost about £15, I had the perspex laying around, the hose is from an old Dyson...

It really wasn't that hard to make, I'm no metal worker but if you take it step by step it isn't to daunting!

Please ask if you need any advice... :)

Back