Table saw blade reducing rings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyper

Reaction score
Hi
I have recently purchased a SIP, 01332 table saw and looking to change the blade. The bore size is 25.4mm. There seems to be very little choice of blades this size so I am considering bore bushes for a 30mm blade.
The question is this a good idea. I am concerned there might be a bit of play on the blade.
Thanks

The reducing rings work fine, provided the fixing washer is larger in diameter than the outside diameter of the reduction ring.

I have had that model saw for many years and every blade I use is std 30mm bore with reducing ring. Easy to get and no issues whatsoever. Using Freud blades at the minute.

Thanks for all the replies. That's good news. Would the blade thickness need to be slightly more than the spacer to ensure the blade tightened adequately. Any recommendations on a decent make.
thanks

Skyper":ducyxl7n said:
Any recommendations on a decent make. thanks

Freud for me these days though the Axminster blade I have for the mitre saw is very good. Have had a couple of Atkinson & Walker blades in the past but not sure if easy to find now.

PS
Look at the blade kerf when you buy and measure the thickness of your riving knife as some of the thinner ones can cause issues

One thing people forget to mention about the ring inserts is that they really shouldn't be used on machines with cup flanges to hold the blade. This video will explain it to you better than I could:

[youtube]PV8RxG3u4Ek[/youtube]

If your machine has cup flanges, you can pein the blade to hold the ring in place or as in the video, you can use spacers to keep it in place.

Yes very interesting. I don’t think his problem was the thickness of the reducing ring or the “cup flanges” as he calls them. More the fact that his reducing ring didn’t actually fit the bore of his blade.

Or he did not tighten the blade enough. perhaps he should have cut down the ring on his thumb and used that.

Hi folks,

Apologies for hijacking this. Looking at buying a couple of Freud blades for my SIP 01332. Is there any recommendations on manufacturer of reducing rings? On FFX website here and looking at the Trend ones but not sure if you can mix and match.

Thanks in advance.

I have the same saw and used Freud blades for years with cheapie reducing rings, I think I goty them from ebay bu can't remember.
Just take note of the points already raised in this thread. Great blades imo.

As long as the reducers are not so thick that they prevent the flange plate from tightening on the blade, then you will be fine. That is only a risk if the blades are Thin Kerf and the reducers are not.
Reducers work fine, they are just a bit of a pain if they don't hold in place very well when you are changing blades. Buy a tube of superglue! :)
S

Steve Maskery":1t8jw94w said:
As long as the reducers are so so thick that they prevent the flange plate from tightening on the blade, then you will be fine. That is only a risk if the blades are Thin Kerf and the reducers are not.
Reducers work fine, they are just a bit of a pain if they don't hold in place very well when you are changing blades. Buy a tube of superglue! :)
S
Hiya Steve,

Typo, I think you meant *NOT* so thick?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back