Table saw advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennymk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's time to add some proper power tools to my workshop, well next year and I was just wondering what are your thoughts on the best band saws out there at the moment for about a grand? Maybe up to about £1200

I've been looking at the usual suspects, jet, axminster and record power. Needs to be the most powerful for cutting hardwoods. Not a 3 phase, have the option of putting wheels on it.

Thanks in advance

There is a new range of Record Power Bandsaw called "Sabre" that need consideration, they look to be a significant step up from what was already a serious contender for top spot in the Bandsaw world, this post takes into account the fact that you have indicated a need to move it, you will be advised to buy an old Wadkin or Startright, these you will not no be able to move without the use of a crane. :lol:

Mike :ho2

EDIT to add link: http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/bandsaws

MikeJhn":3o78vqlj said:
There is a new range of Record Power Bandsaw called "Sabre" that need consideration, they look to be a significant step up from what was already a serious contender for top spot in the Bandsaw world, this post takes into account the fact that you have indicated a need to move it, you will be advised to buy an old Wadkin or Startright, these you will not no be able to move without the use of a crane. :lol:

EDIT to add link: http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/bandsaws

I popped up to Record Power yesterday and must say I was very impressed by the quality of the Sabre and it's brother the Startrite.

It looks like Record are heading in the right direction with their product range and as I understand it they have a new man at the top who looks like he knows his what to specify. Worth a look I would say, when so many other companies are trying to get away with cheaper products.

Cheers Peter

Indeed with the heading being wrong, Dooh.

Are have a look at the New sabre ones, I live in Milton Keynes, there's a axminister to to far away, wonder where the nearest record power show room is, are get looking.

Thanks for you input. :)

£1200 eh? :D :D :D
Question no.1
Sounds like you don't want to wait for a bargain, ie half of that figure, 600 quid would get you a machine
ready to rock, plug and play, similar to what I have in my workshop
Might take 6 months to get a bargain though

Q no.2
Would be handy to know if you would be willing to do some repairs, refurbishment on one.
Would you be willing to spend a few hours on one to get it to work?

Q no.3
Have you got people working for you?

Q no.4
Have you a got 16 amp plug wired up, or are you sticking to household 13 amp plugs?

If you don't want to wait, and don't have folks working for you, I will give my 2cents.

Still unsure if I can give you a direct link for eBay?
Maybe giving a broken link is allowed, I don't see the harm If your looking for a machine and I'm giving
you what would be my choices.

I have added a 1 at the start of every link to break the links !

Here is a choice with no faff, if you have got a 16a supply
best offer him what you think is fair,
by that, guessing these machines are perfect working order BTW

Axminster Industrial Series AP5300T-2 Bandsaw used 240V

Really though, I would be more interested in these machines though,
Three phase machines are generally half the price

Bandsaw Meber SR600 Industrial £1000 + Vat £1200
This one and the following needs a VFD costing about 100 quid, but will work with a 13A plug with the VFD

Bandsaw Socomec SN560 - £1500 + Vat
You would need to ask weather it has a dual voltage motor, guessing it has

Centauro CO 600 Industrial Bandsaw
I suspect this could be a fixed star wound motor (not suitable for VFD's)
Scott & Sargeant have one listed up there too, you could ask them, or look it up on website.

Doubt you will get a bargain with the machinery dealers.
Search for bandsaw and band saw
Good luck

[Edit]Got those broken links cleared off, makes a world of difference :?

The reason for e-mail links being frowned upon, is that other members may be bidding on the item putting a 1 in front of the link does not really put it on the QT. #-o

Mike

They're all similar spec machines, similarly priced and buy it now/or best offer, not auctions,
but now since you said it, that linking could be used as a tool to hike up the price if one was selling, or
helping a friend sell theirs, getting a favour in return.
I will not post my "2 cents" publicly, if it's an auctioned tool.
That seems easy to abide by MikeJhn :)

Tom

As you say, could be used as a tool to hike the price, may be an idea to delete the links?

What would be the point of the OP's post then if it was not meant to be public?
Do people expect to get PM's on this section of the forum?
I don't see a link any different than just mentioning it, and the fact its on eBay...
Whats the difference?

The reason for the links was to be a bit more specific, because the OP mentioned he did not
want 3 phase, I just get the feeling he's not aware of the easy options.
It would be a bit more reassuring to know its suitable.

As I said, these machines semi-linked are no bargain, and I don't deem it very likely for this thread to compel four
folks here to buy a big bandsaw
Remember a bandsaw's not for Christmas, Its for life :roll:

Whatever you say Ttrees it is just considered bad form to post a link from e-bay on here due to the reasons I have already posted, but you do whatever you think is proper and correct.

Compliments of the season

Cool, cool
Just wanted a more concrete explanation on why the opinion exists.
I can see why some folks want to discourage linking, but I thought that
would possibly have to be more specific for it to be deemed to be frowned upon.

I shall PM the links to the OP

Happy Christmas
Tom

I am indeed one of the buy a startrite 351 brigade. Not stupid heavy either. I'm second guessing your usage a bit TBH. But single phase suggests your not really using it for deep resaws. Sure other options are there new but this is a proven serious contender. I would only buy something else if I needed bigger.

Food for thought guys, thanks a bunch..

I've got a couple of months at least to mull it over.. Anything else I ponder I shall pose the Q.. :D

Back