Surface gauges for woodworkers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
In "another place" surface gauges cropped up.

Doubt was expressed as to the uses a woodworker might find for one.

I should probably say at this stage that I like 'em.

surface_gauge.jpg

To use a surface gauge, which is really just a gadget for holding a scribing point at a fixed height from a surface, the workpiece is clamped with its reference edge(or face) on a flat surface. The surface gauge is set to the height which corresponds to the distance the mark is required from the edge, and sits on the same flat surface as the workpiece. Then either the workpiece is moved past the surface gauge, or vice versa, or a bit of both. The scribing process will be about as accurate as the flat surface is ... well ... flat.

Now, if you're just marking a plank for ripping, or the shoulder lines of dovetails, a surface gauge is not useful; woodworkers have well known gauges for those tasks.

But consider marking a section of moulding for ripping; this would require a pattern makers "grass hopper gauge" to get over the humps and bumps and get the marking point where it needs to go.

A surface gauge can do this easily. :D

Consider a workpiece where the edge isn't as long as the area to be marked (e.g. marking a pentagon parallel to one of its edges).

A surface gauge can do this easily.:D

Consider a workpiece where the edge to be marked from isn't (actually) straight, but wavy; the (obvious) requirment is to mark parallel to the "average" of the wavy edge.

And finally, consider (this might be hard to visualise...) marking a workpiece presenting all three of the above difficulties.

In short, whilst a woodworker would find no benefit from the surface gauge in common tasks, a surface gauge can make some otherwise tricky, though rare, tasks much easier.

BugBear

BB - interesting ideas, but a surface guage needs/ought to be used on a flat referance surface, so how flat is your flat surface? - Rob, in 'can of worms' mode :lol: :arrow: 'shop

BB,
I like them too. I find the variations are interesting, and enjoy both the manufactured and user-made versions. These are just a portion of the gages I have.
sg2.jpg

sg1.jpg

My real weekness is for trammel sets. But that's for another post.

Cheers,
Wayne Anderson
http://andersonplanes.com

woodbloke":1dkjigzd said:
BB - interesting ideas, but a surface guage needs/ought to be used on a flat referance surface, so how flat is your flat surface? - Rob, in 'can of worms' mode :lol: :arrow: 'shop

Heh. I was very careful. I said...

me":1dkjigzd said:
The scribing process will be about as accurate as the flat surface is ... well ... flat.

BugBear

wayne":1wyvgmp7 said:
BB,
I like them too. I find the variations are interesting, and enjoy both the manufactured and user-made versions. These are just a portion of the gages I have.
My real weekness is for trammel sets. But that's for another post.

Cheers,
Wayne Anderson
http://andersonplanes.com

I think I recognise one of those... :)

BugBear

The US equivalent to anorak is probably nerd.
Hey...I've been rightly called worse.
I readily admit to being a collector of machinist layout tools.
No harm, no foul. :lol: -Wayne

Great stuff,

Have certainly found uses for these in the past, but BB has undoudtedly found many more.

See oval display table, book 3 page 138.

And of course our bench tops are flat.......

David

I can't compete with Wayne, but since my photo (above) was taken, I've acquired a couple more craftsman made examples; the small one is quite cute and unusual, and the large one is just rather pleasingly sturdy and simple, especially the "I could hold the Titanic back" clamp.

small_scribe.jpg

tall_scribe.jpg

BugBear

Here's a unique one, I made it exactly 50 years ago, all non turned parts had to be filed and finished by hand to a tolerance of 2 thou with the sole blued and scraped flat. (later years groups were allowed to machine the base, whimps!)

As you might imagine much trepidation went into the engraving of the name, one slip and you started again.

s-block.JPG

The gunk on it is dried on preservation grease that I have not got round to removing completely except from the reference faces.

I use mine on the cast iron saw table, more than good enough for everyday use.

CHJ":3bzsyv04 said:
Here's a unique one, I made it exactly 50 years ago, all non turned parts had to be filed and finished by hand to a tolerance of 2 thou with the sole blued and scraped flat. (later years groups were allowed to machine the base, whimps!)

Yes, surface gauges are a classic "apprentice piece", along with depth gauges, squares, bevel gauges, trammels and machine vices.

Some apprentices do better work than others, of course...

BugBear

David C":2h6r804j said:
Great stuff,

Have certainly found uses for these in the past, but BB has undoudtedly found many more.

See oval display table, book 3 page 138.

And of course our bench tops are flat.......

David

I'll look at that, when the local library gets a copy.

Are your benches as flat as Mr Kirby's ??

BugBear

That was a cheeky reference to an old issue, i.e forgetting to protect the bench top in the shooting dvd...

Well, flatish, not quite surface plate tolerances!

When planed up I would hope to have a hollow of less than 4 thou across a 16" wide bench top and a hollow of round about 4 thou over a 4 foot length.

The whole surface will be a mass of tiny scallops, but good enough for government work?

best wishes,
David

BB,

Do please pester your local library to get a copy.

By the miracle of Public Lending Rights, it might earn me a few pence!!

David

Back