SU Tutorials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Neil,
A question ranther than an answer, if I wanted to make, say, an ottoman for the bedroom, wood I need SU, would it help me, if yes how do I go about starting? do I enter a freehand sketch, is there any literature I could read, this is new ground for me and perhaps over my head, but a word to the wise would be appreciated, I must admit I'm apprehesive.
Rich.

Rich":3vu1o3sa said:
Hi Neil,
A question ranther than an answer, if I wanted to make, say, an ottoman for the bedroom, wood I need SU, would it help me, if yes how do I go about starting? do I enter a freehand sketch, is there any literature I could read, this is new ground for me and perhaps over my head, but a word to the wise would be appreciated, I must admit I'm apprehesive.
Rich.

Go to the sketchup website and have a look at the tutorials. www.sketchup.com

Hey Neil very nice post I must say. More than it I liked your simplicity as you are not claiming even for credit. I liked your honesty. Good on you.

if you go to finewoodworking.com Dave has a blog there and I'm certain you'll find the video on it by searching.

If you watch any of Jay Bates stuff on youtube, he'll often do a video of designing the project in sketchup before hand. He narrates everything he's doing and explains how, why and what he's doing in a very easy to understand manor. While I'd consider myself relatively accomplished for what I need at sketchup, I always learn something new by watching him. Even if it's just a new shortcut!

Jay Bates SketchUp Tutorials Playlist

+1 For Master Bates. I installed Sketchup a year ago and for someone with over twenty years experience in DTP and page payout programs I found it it far from simple to use and soon gave up. Having watched Jay talk through the design process and his incidental use of Sketchup along the way I was inspired to give it another bash. Eleven hours later, I've created the same design, getting a little more detailed and faster each time. It could be simpler (perhaps the Pro version has the features I feel are missing from this freebie version) but got far further with it today than I ever have before.

Back