Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Newbie_Neil
Please note that whilst my username will appear against most of these postings, I cannot claim any credit.

These are, primarily, due to DaveR.

Initial Sizing and Re-sizing of an Object

DaveR video of dovetails using the mirror and component facility

Adding Materials to the Library

Creating half-lap joints

How to mitre mouldings

If there are any errors or additions that you would like to make then please post here.

Any offers for further tutorials?

Thanks
Neil
Last edited by Newbie_Neil on 09 Jan 2014, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
By Rich
Hi Neil,
A question ranther than an answer, if I wanted to make, say, an ottoman for the bedroom, wood I need SU, would it help me, if yes how do I go about starting? do I enter a freehand sketch, is there any literature I could read, this is new ground for me and perhaps over my head, but a word to the wise would be appreciated, I must admit I'm apprehesive.
Rich.
By tim
Rich wrote:Hi Neil,
A question ranther than an answer, if I wanted to make, say, an ottoman for the bedroom, wood I need SU, would it help me, if yes how do I go about starting? do I enter a freehand sketch, is there any literature I could read, this is new ground for me and perhaps over my head, but a word to the wise would be appreciated, I must admit I'm apprehesive.
Rich.

Go to the sketchup website and have a look at the tutorials. www.sketchup.com
By kettywilson01
Hey Neil very nice post I must say. More than it I liked your simplicity as you are not claiming even for credit. I liked your honesty. Good on you.
By JWF
I couldn't open the dovetail video. Any thoughts?
John
By wizer
if you go to finewoodworking.com Dave has a blog there and I'm certain you'll find the video on it by searching.
By Newbie_Neil
RogerS wrote:Here is an excellent one on how to mitre mouldings by DaveR

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/443 ... g-moldings

Thanks Roger.

I've added it to the first post.

Neil
By Brian18741
If you watch any of Jay Bates stuff on youtube, he'll often do a video of designing the project in sketchup before hand. He narrates everything he's doing and explains how, why and what he's doing in a very easy to understand manor. While I'd consider myself relatively accomplished for what I need at sketchup, I always learn something new by watching him. Even if it's just a new shortcut!

Jay Bates SketchUp Tutorials Playlist
By Lonsdale73
+1 For Master Bates. I installed Sketchup a year ago and for someone with over twenty years experience in DTP and page payout programs I found it it far from simple to use and soon gave up. Having watched Jay talk through the design process and his incidental use of Sketchup along the way I was inspired to give it another bash. Eleven hours later, I've created the same design, getting a little more detailed and faster each time. It could be simpler (perhaps the Pro version has the features I feel are missing from this freebie version) but got far further with it today than I ever have before.