Stolen Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paddy Roxburgh":31edopw7 said:
Where does the 38% come from?

38% of our sales via ebay ended up as fraudulent on the part of the buyer ranging from "They didn't send what I ordered" (or variations on a theme) or returned with major parts missing.

ScaredyCat":1z28tsn9 said:
Paddy Roxburgh":1z28tsn9 said:
Where does the 38% come from?

38% of our sales via ebay ended up as fraudulent on the part of the buyer ranging from "They didn't send what I ordered" (or variations on a theme) or returned with major parts missing.

Crikey, that's really bad. I've sold a few things on ebay and never had a problem. It also appears that others in this thread have sold large quantities on ebay with no problems (I once bought a very nice tenon saw from Roger P, thanks Roger). What do you sell? I wonder if certain items attract scams more than others. I kind of doubt that people who buy second hand hand tools are going to be scammers (but then again anything's possible). I once bought a second hand chisel from ebay from a regular seller, the chisel was a different size to the advert. I contacted the seller and asked if he had sent me the wrong chisel or had mismeasured it. I told him if he had sent the wrong one then I would like it replaced but if it was a mismeasurement then I would just keep the chisel (it wasn't expensive and was a decent chisel). He immediately refunded my money and then put me on his blocked list, I imagine when he calculates his "scammers percentage" I was in that number, weird because I do not see how I could have been more reasonable.

By the way, I HATE this thread. I'm off work for half term and every time I see this thread I imagine someone loading all my tools into their van.
Paddy

Paddy Roxburgh":21hv29d2 said:
[...] I imagine when he calculates his "scammers percentage" I was in that number, weird because I do not see how I could have been more reasonable.

I suspect that's half the problem Paddy. Many people these days have a pejorative, untrusting view of others and an initial negative assumption. You only have to read a number of threads on here to see how quickly some people jump to judgement on the motivation of others.

I'm not for a moment saying that there aren't lying thieving little scrotes in the world, or devious underhanded corporate bosses. But there are far fewer of them than the Daily Mail would have you believe.

Personally I like to think the best of people until they demonstrate otherwise. Sadly on occasion that doesn't take long, but more than 95% of the time I'm proved right.

Paddy Roxburgh":2cus9q37 said:
Crikey, that's really bad.

Indeed, not helped by ebay issuing immediate refunds to the buyer without consultation. We even started using cctv in the packing area when they were boxing stuff up. ebay's response was that we still couldn't prove what we'd actually sent out the door.

What do you sell? I wonder if certain items attract scams more than others.

Computers and parts, tablets etc. I very much suspect this is part of the problem.

He immediately refunded my money and then put me on his blocked list, I imagine when he calculates his "scammers percentage" I was in that number, weird because I do not see how I could have been more reasonable.

You know that you were being honest, that seller doesn't. Given that, if you'd complained, ebay would have refunded you without hesitation and put a "defect" against the seller's account - they would have suffered more. 3 defects and your account goes "below standard" which makes things harder as a seller. Just giving you your money back meant that you couldn't complain and the seller wouldn't suffer a double whammy to the testicles. Blocking you means they never have to deal with you again.
​​

Brandlin":2lvdlvyq said:
I suspect that's half the problem Paddy. Many people these days have a pejorative, untrusting view of others and an initial negative assumption.
Personally I like to think the best of people until they demonstrate otherwise. Sadly on occasion that doesn't take long, but more than 95% of the time I'm proved right.

I'm with you on both those points and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt unless they prove otherwise however...in contradiction I also take very little at face value nowadays and certainly look very carefully before making decisions as there is no doubt there are plenty of scammers and thieves out there and I believe we're all responsible for ensuring we don't make things easy for them.

My little business thrived rather than suffered from the reputation of crooked traders as customers were looking to avoid those people and came to me via recommendation.

Bob

Back